Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSX Kinsport Sub program is a MESS, Please help

Default CSX Kinsport Sub program is a MESS, Please help

Greetings:

I have made the horrible mistake of downloading the CSX KINGSPORT SUBDIVISION program from the library, and I am having an extreme amount of problems getting it to give me anything reasonable like a route that can be used. (too much to ask already)

I have downloadeed the 5 parts of the route "kportv21" to "kportv25". I HAVE used spanned files before with European routes and I have "WINrar" ready to be the utility all the time. This time it is a mess.

OK....I have extracted the following files from the above download, I get these: "kportv2.zip", "kportv.000", "kportv2" (001 file??),
    "kportv.002" and "kportv.003". I checked this forum for any problems, and the author admits he was using an old version of RouteRiter and that the files are incorrectly named.

I then proceeded to get them into a spanned file format..........in the order of above: "kportv2.zip" , kportv2.z01", "kportv2.Z02", "kportv2.z03" and "kportv2.z04".............I have renamed them as shown

Next I use the WinRAR program on "kportv2.zip" to begin the extraction of files to a route folder. Here's where the problems begin.....the WIN program goes ape-sh****.telling me files z02 and z03 are co0rrupt............then z04 has no volume and needs a DISK???? WTF?, there is NO DISK.

When the program stops extracting, I run the BAT file, which as usual doesn't copy everything it should, and when I start the route, THIS is what I get in this picture.....some spaced out nonsense. Have NEVER had this problem with usin WinRAR on spanned file routes.

I would greatly appreciate someone who knows how to unravel this mess and explain how to set this route up....it should never be this hard.

Thanks very much for patching up the short coming on getting this thing to work, as the author's latent "discovery" of the files being incorrect was of little help in solving this.
    Open Rails 2020-08-05 03-14-15.jpg
    Doug

Happiness is when the AI-trains appear where you want them to

The route was my first or 2nd attempt at doing a route and much of the software used to prepare it
    for distribution no longer exists. Send me a private message and give me your email address and I
    will see what I can do. Oddly, redoing this and the Blue Ridge Sub. are items in my bucket list.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Hi Doug,
    You don't seem to have done anything wrong, and maybe one or more of your downloads is corrupt?

Firstly, I must make two points :
    1. I have never downloaded this route before.
    2. I ALWAYS use 7Zip for all archive unpacking, so the following is based on its use.

This is the procedure I used to get a 'proper-looking' route in MSTS (after running installme.bat!) :

A. Unpack each of the downloaded .zip files
    B. Copy the resulting kportv2.zip, kportv2.000, kportv2.001, kportv2.002 and kportv2.003 files into a new temporary folder.
    C. In this new folder, rename kportv2.000 to kportv2.z01, kportv2.001 to kportv2.z02, kportv2.002 to kportv2.z03 and kportv2.003 to kportv2.z04
    D. Run kportv2.zip as normal. I don't see any reason why WinZip or WinRAR wouldn't work, but 7Zip certainly does!!

Note : The new temporary folder MUST NOT be in any of Windows-created folders on Drive C:

Cheers,
    Ged

Ged,
    Doug,

Just to be sure, I downloaded the files from the library and I found that the method Ged recommends works fine.
    I used a fairly new version of WinZip (payware) and it successfully extracted all the files and created the structure
    of the route, i.e. Kingsport---Activities, etc. You may have to copy manually some items that are mentioned in
    the instructions because they didn't get handled correctly by RouteRiter. In those old days when this route was
    created, many of us were using dialup connections, but now I would not create span-zip files for a relatively
    small route. As I indicated, this one is on my list to re-do, probably without the military railroad west of Kingsport,
    and also without the coal branches north of Elkhorn City, since those will be done better in a new route that is under
    construction, covering the Southern Big Sandy area of C&O.

J. H. Sullivan

Default CSX Kingsport Sub program is a MESS, Please help

Ged
    J H Sullivan;

OK, I started at square one again today with another download of all parts of the route. Following Ged's proceedure, I expanded the files with 7-Zip program this time into what I thought was the route. I ran the "Install Me" bat. However, when I opened the route in Open Rails...it is still not there.

I tried each one of the 4 starting points in the paths provided and got VERY strange results. (photos show what I am looking at)

1) ELKHORN CITY: track is in "mid-air" no terrain and little if any scenery

2) GLENITA: same thing...no terrain or scenery

3) HOLSTON: Terrain, but no objects except track

4) MARROWBONE: only place where things look "normal"

I have not the faintest idea what is going on, and defer to somebody m,ore expert. If the files are coming through this way, there is nothing I know to fix or correct this mess. I have tried until I am blue with downloading and downloading but nothing changes.

I would greatly appreciate if somebody would send me the correct files to make this route work, as the ones I have do not, and I am getting nowhere.

Thank you very much for your assistance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

Hi Doug,
    Sorry, mate, but you've already got all the correct files!!

Two things come to mind :
    1. It's a 2-stage unpack - have you followed my procedure exactly?
    2. Have you got the original 6 default MSTS routes in the same installation as you've placed the Kingsport route?

I've just started Explore mode for each of the supplied paths and I see nothing like your screenshots!

Cheers,
    Ged

Default CSX Kingsport Sub program is a MESS, Please help

Hello Ged:

Thanks for the information, but I have handled spanned files before, but not with this difficulty.

I followed all your instructions in the initial post you made. Files extracted, renamed as you showed, then opened with 7-Zip.
    Moved file to my ROUTE directory with the other USA routes. And YES, the 6 default routes are in the same location, otherwise the BAT file would show nothing is copied if they were not. And once again, I get these weird results of missing terrain & textures

I still suspect there is something being corrupted, destroyed or missing in one of the 5 original ZIP file downloads..........In 7-Zip, there is a comment window under the progress bar when the program extracts. I got over several dozen messages that "Unavailable data": Kingsport/TILES/-07166760.t, -07166760_y.raw, 07166764.t....et al ,.

Ged, I suspect something is "rotten in Denmark" in the TILES and or WORLD folders that these files are not coming out right.

When I said give me the correct files, I didn't mean there were any more than the 5 original ones.....what I said was I wish somebody that had a correctly running extracted route send me the problem files that have already been extracted insted of playing tiddly winks the way I am with what's not working...........these days large files like the WORLD & TILES folders can be uploaded as an attachment to something like Google Cloud, and I can get an e-mail link to retrieve them.

I have one more option before I kick the walls, not the cat (don't have a cat, never hurt animals anyway)........it's going to be several days because of things limited with the virus crap, but I can get to another computer at my friend's print shop and download the 5 originbal files from that and see if they still come out corrupted.

So Frustrating.

Thanks Ged fop your help anyway
    Doug

Hi Doug,
    Sorry, mate, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to unpack spanned zips, but we can all forget things (especially when you get to MY age!!).
    When I used 7-Zip, I didn't get any such messages. Please don't take offence, but I'm going back to basics and making a couple of assumptions - none of the folders you're using are in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and in the extensions to the renamed files z01, z02 z03 and z04, the 0 is a zero.
    Anyone could make the WORLD and TILES folders available to you, but how do we know if any other files are missing?
    The files reported as missing are in kportv2.z02 (original kportv2.001) - but the names are -071667b0 and -071667b4.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Doug,
    In case it is a corruption in your download, these are the file sizes :

kportv22.zip (as downloaded) = 19500KB
    kportv2.000 (unpacked above file) = 19532KB

In the past, I've had corruptions if I attempted to download more than one file concurrently.

Cheers,
    Ged

As I said Doug, if you will send me a private message with your email address, I will send you the entire
    route in a single zip file by way of "WeTransfer" so all you need to do is do one "unzip" and then copy the
    resulting route into your "routes" directory. I will delete activities, but leave paths, because you may or
    may not have what I used to create the activities. I have never had success with 7-zip unless the original
    zip file was created with it. I used WinZip, latest payware version to unzip the spanned zips.

J. H. Sullivan