Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Route Riter on WIN10

Default Problem with Route Riter on WIN10

Hi All,

I am attempting to transfer scenery items from one route to another in bulk. I uninstalled my old copy of Route Riter using IO Bit Uninstaller. I then installed the latest version Route Riter in a directory called Digital Rails on my system disk. This directory is NOT in the program fiiles (x86) directory. Prior to this I made sure that I had the latest version of Java Installed.

On starting route riter I get an error message saying that tsutils could not be started. Java is required. I ignored this message and and attempted the scenery transfer.

The results were as follows. The .ref file was updated, all the shape files were transfered, but none of the ace files were transfered. I also noticed that the AppData Tempfiles2 folder was empty while the TempFiles folder had all the shape files.

If you can follow my rambeling description of the problem I would appreciate any help.

Fred

What version of Route_Riter are you using? If it's later than 7.6.26 (the last version produced by Mike Simpson) that might be the problem.

The later versions produced by "Digital Rails" have a lot of known bugs.

But on the other hand, if it's asking for Java it must be one of Mike's versions.

Hi Fred,
    I then installed the latest version Route Riter in a directory called Digital Rails on my system disk
    From this, it appears that you are using a version "later than 7.6.26", so it might be advisable to install Mike's last version.

A problem with v7.6.26 is that, when running in Win 10, it is prevented from accessing its temporary files (which are in one of Windows' 'protected' folders) and requires two folders, Tempfiles and Tempfiles2, to be created in R_R's own folder. It may be that your version has the same problem.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,

I am using version 7.8.10. Thats the one available on steam4me. Is there any way to get an older version on line?

I also tried again unsuccessfully with the Tempfiles in the RR directory. I can't see why RR would automaticly know that they are there.

Fred

Hi Fred,
    It's available from the file library here : rr7626fu.zip

I can't see why RR would automaticly know that they are there.

I believe many programs will 'look' in their own installation folders for any files/folders they cannot find in a specified location. I accept that this may not apply specifically to R_R v7.8.10.

Cheers,
    Ged

I installed version 7.6.26 according to the directions in the readme file and things went from bad to worse! I also gave RR admin privileges and comparability for windows xp.

Does anyone out there have a working copy of RR running under win10. If you do what version is it and how did you install it.

Fred

Hi Fred,
    I think there must be a great number of us successfully running Route_Riter v7.6.26 under Win 10!!

I'm pretty sure that sending you a working copy won't help with your problem because it's based on other programs in your system.
    There's no need to set it to run in XP compatibility mode; the only box which should be ticked on the Compatibility tab is "Run this program as an administrator". Route_Riter must not be installed into C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Also, as mentioned before, when installed, two folders must be created in its installation folder, Tempfiles and Tempfiles2.

R_R needs Java to be installed; the off-line installer should be used, from this page : https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp Select the Windows Offline (64-bit) version. This WILL be installed in C:\Program Files, which is OK.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Fred
    Your mention of Java rang a bell about something you have to do, copy files from RR to Java.
    Go to the Steam4me site and go to the Route-Riter section (RHand tab at the top.
    Select Error Messages from the LHand menu and scroll down to number 13.
    Here it instructs you to copy files from the RR installation to your Java installation. (Note my Java is in ProgFiles (x86)
    Hope this helps
    Garry

you need to copy the classes folder from RR into JAVA's folder.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman View Post
    you need to copy the classes folder from RR into JAVA's folder.
    Not quite.

You need to create a "Classes" folder in the Java version folder (e.g. in jre1.8.0_261) and then copy the CONTENTS of the TsUtil folder (i.e. 110 files) in the Route_Riter folder to the Classes folder.
    Last edited by latimers; 08-08-2020 at 06:59 PM.