Thread: How do you properly stop at a station during freight activity

Default How do you properly stop at a station during freight activity

Hi.
    I am working on GEXR route for Goderich area of Ontario. I prefer to do freight activities.
    Anyway, I am trying to do Activity; GEXR_extra_582.
    I keep failing due to 'not stopping at Station'. The activity starts with two Locos, I have to go Fwd to switch tracks and reverse past 'Goderich Station' to get to the cars to transport. I cannot seem to stop properly to satisfy the "stop at station" requirement. I ring my bell, stop, just past the platform (2 locos only), and then go, but I find if I save immediately, I observe that I have failed to stop at the station. I know it must be something simple I am doing wrong.
    Can somebody please explain the proper method for a freight activity, stop at station, please?
    I did the tutorial for passenger, but that method didn't work for me in this instance.

Hi.
    Every time an activity is created using the MSTS Activity Editor, the program by default adds an action event "Stop at last station". Triggering of this event is required to get the "Activity successfully completed" evaluation at the end of the activity. Although this makes sense for passenger activities, it is impossible to trigger this event in a freight activity if there are no station stops in the schedule and if there is no car with passenger capacity in the player's train. So, don't worry about it. The author of the activity should have deleted this default event and replaced it by an "activity completed" event that would make more sense in the activity, like the 2 locos stopping at a certain point of the route.

Thanks , so much for responding to this.
    Now, if I understand this. As it stands, I will always fail the activity due to missed stations.
    When I look at the activity with Activity Editor, I see two events. One is pick up cars and the other is Stop at Final Station.

If I delete the 'Stop at Final Station' event, then I can successfully complete the activity. Is my understanding of this correct?

The briefing says to pick up cars and drop them off at a specified location, ( not a problem), then proceed back to place of origin. But it can't complete because there is no station to stop at. ( as per your mention)

On my other routes, I try to do them as best I can. If I continually fail, then I look at them with the Editor, to see where I am going wrong, as I can follow the green line to see the author's intent.
    I couldn't understand why the error happens, because I couldn't rationalize a freight hauler stopping at stations. Now I believe I see why. If this is the correct solution, I can fix the other activities on that same Route as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bickford Line View Post
    If I delete the 'Stop at Final Station' event, then I can successfully complete the activity.
    No, you would still need an "activity completed" event in the activity. This could be a new location event which you could place at a point where the player train (in this case the two locos) shall be "parked" at the end of the activity.

When you create a new location event, the outcome will be "activity completed successfully" by default. There will be a little box "train must stop" in the location event window which you should tick. I suggest to make the radius of the location event not too small, so it would be easier to "hit" the right spot when parking the engines to trigger the event.

If you add a new event to the activity, you would have to run the activity again from the beginning.

I hope this helps. I was searching for an English tutorial for the MSTS activity editor but could not find one.
    Last edited by uli2; 08-12-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

HI
    I was searching for an English tutorial for the MSTS activity editor but could not find one.

There's a decent one here :
    http://allaboardrails.com/at.htm .... you do have to pay $10 for it, but it's worth it!

Disclaimer : I have no connection with the above-mentioned site, except as a satisfied customer and gain nothing financially from the sale of such tutorial!

Cheers,
    Ged

Why, thank you for the advice and the link. I just ordered the activity tute. I am playing with the said activity and will try to get it to end for me.

Hi, again.
    I did order The Act Tute. Got it a few minutes ago.
    Thanks so much for the heads up.
    It seems to be exactly what I need, fully explained information.

I want to thank you again for your great advice and referral. I have gotten a lot of benefit from the Activity Guide. I repaired the activity I mentioned and have found I can create them from scratch now.
    If I create a new Activity for a route, how would I go about submitting it for your Library? I suppose I should look under articles or check the Forum more deeply.

Gerald