Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BNSF 25th Anniversary locos

I have to say that the Irony of those wanting these skins rather than run Routes and trains of the ACTUAL roads that amalgamated to become BNSF leaves me somewhat bemused...... Each to their own.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

From Trains Magazine web site August 13, 2020:
    BNSF Railway has introduced the first of what it says will be 10 locomotives with special paint schemes marking the railroad’s 25th anniversary. On its Facebook page, the railroad posted four photos of GE ES44AC No. 5828, with a “25th Anniversary” label on the nose and side, as well as logos of predecessor railroads. BNSF says the other nine units will have the same scheme. The railroad says the first locomotive will be operating as of tomorrow.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    I have to say that the Irony of those wanting these skins rather than run Routes and trains of the ACTUAL roads that amalgamated to become BNSF leaves me somewhat bemused...... Each to their own.
    I agree. I would rather run a silver and black Everywhere West FW&D SD-9 than any of this new _________!
    Charles

Hi Geoff,
    I'm one who's interest is running trains in the simulation on the modern side of the fence, so what's relevant is what is most interesting. I don't knock nostalgia, but it's in the past. I watch trains quite often, and want to simulate what I am living through, and what defines today's railroading.
    That's the great thing about this simulation - everyone can live in their niche.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Hi Geoff,
    I'm one who's interest is running trains in the simulation on the modern side of the fence, so what's relevant is what is most interesting. I don't knock nostalgia, but it's in the past. I watch trains quite often, and want to simulate what I am living through, and what defines today's railroading.
    That's the great thing about this simulation - everyone can live in their niche.
    Neil I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence!

However there's more to the older era than "nostalgia"?

More Track, more variety of traction, more variety of stock and types of traffic, mixed trains, branch lines, drop off freight runs, local sidings etc.etc. etc.

Railways across the globe have "rationalised" their traffic to that which makes the most profit. Competition with Air travel and the Car "took out" passenger traffic in most of North America whilst that flourishes in Europe. Road transport has killed local freight traffic in most of Europe and the 2km lash ups that make modern freight pay in North America are of no use in Europe.

It's not just Nostalgia it's historic development.

It's also an age thing? Did you ever see and/or travel on a Steam hauled train when that was the scheduled service?

I was born just after WWII. We had, as I grew up in East London, the first 1500vDC overhead suburban electric trains running alongside some of the first Diesels and until I was in my teens many of the Long Distance passenger express trains (boat trains to Harwich for ferries to Holland) were steam hauled. Even our local "Tube" station still had a local siding which was served by ancient steam loco's to deliver coal for domestic heating. I now live in Dorset and our local trains are fast, quiet, comfortable, air conditioned 3rd rail electric units (Class 444 units built by Seimens) and the only freight that makes it this far down is hauled by EMD Class 66 locos) I've travelled right across Europe in TGV's and various Italian Tilting trains and I've loved all of them!

When it comes to simulation though your choices of activity have unquestionably narrowed with newer eras because that's what modern railways are about. So horses for courses.... BUT history rather than nostalgia dictates what variety WAS available?

Back on this specific topic... Once the photo's of the real deal are available these look like a comparatively easy reskin job? Ironically thanks to the interest in Nostalgia
    Geoff
    UK

As Neil said, the best thing about this sim is that everyone can find and run what and where they like.

I can make the first of these units as soon as I have returned home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    As Neil said, the best thing about this sim is that everyone can find and run what and where they like.
    ...err yes as I said first line of my post?

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    I can make the first of these units as soon as I have returned home tonight.
    So far I haven't found any pictures of the other side view? The AC44's are quite different on either side of the body so without seeing where the BNSF Logo and former railroad logo's are that's a bit difficult? Good news is that the 25th Anniversary is plain old Arial Font All the logo's are conveniently posted on the "BNSF Railway" FB page under Photo's. Hardest part will be marking all these logos' with shading to keep the 3D effect of the panels they cover.
    Geoff
    UK

You seem to be right on the other side not being visible. I was sure they had posted photos of both sides at their FB page. I will do just one side then and wait for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    I agree. I would rather run a silver and black Everywhere West FW&D SD-9 than any of this new _________!
    I prefer 1970 to 1980 time frame cause it is what I remember with my dad. I'm not a huge Gevo fan or long stack trains to me the second generation EMD locomotives are what I know. Glad people will like them but just not for me.

Default One side only.....

Just to prove that a rainy afternoon can even get me to look closely at a Gevo ....and I STILL think they're BORING.

Now Charles... you were talking about those wonderous beauties, shaby and black, bedecked with slogans and road dust.. Ahh... The SD9

Anyway here's one side of your boring Gevo LOL!

If anyone can get a picture of the other side I'll finish this one and upload it with all the working files. Photoshop only I'm afraid.

FYI this is a reskin of one of the SLI Scenic Sub AC44's. Most difficult bit is blanking out the original side logo's because it looks like a PSP texture on the aces.

BTW here's how much better just ONE of those badges looks on the real deal. http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/Screen33/SD_12.jpg

Click to Enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lateagain; 08-16-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Addition.
    Geoff
    UK