Thread: Bug or...?

Default Bug or...?

I've cross-posted this to the Train-Sim forum as well but maybe someone here can help...I have noticed this as I re-build in various areas...The TDB shows everything there but the TDB line is gone. ESPECIALLY since it is up against a switch, I "remove" the switch from the database, remove the track that has the error, and then add them both back and things line back up again.

I can run over it with almost no problems, the trains expand/contrast when going over these errors in ORTS. Does anyone have a fix or an idea?

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Usually that's caused by altering track between TrackNodes. or moving track without removing from the database before moving.
    TSRE does take some getting used to and is painfully happy to introduce errors on the slightest mis-step.
    This happened to me a lot during my two year TSRE 'school' on the PRR-East rebuild project. I'm better now.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince, this is happening during a re-build and I've learned quickly, before doing this, what TSRE can and can't do! I'll have 3321 to the next switch node in the database, saved, and then the next time I'm in the area - whether or not I re-open the route in TSRE, that section of straight track will usually be "database line blind"...

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Quote Originally Posted by fchrist16 View Post
    Vince, this is happening during a re-build and I've learned quickly, before doing this, what TSRE can and can't do! I'll have 3321 to the next switch node in the database, saved, and then the next time I'm in the area - whether or not I re-open the route in TSRE, that section of straight track will usually be "database line blind"...

Regards,

-Frank C.
    This happens when ALL interactives are not removed in a stretch between nodes where you are editing. A single interactive left would induce such a defect.

Multiple tracks are even more susceptible

What actually happens is the bearing directions of the tracknode thru the section in question have "flipped" by 180 degrees or PI in radians. If you are comfortable with TDB editing via text editor, it can be remedied quite easily without having to lose your work

There are no interactives on this route at all...I'm not a newbie when it comes to route creation and I know those come last! This happens at random in random areas that I've either touched recently or two weeks ago! There's no exact rhyme or reason in this route for it.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Have you tried removing the piece from the TDB and then re-adding it? This will occasionally happen to me while laying track (no interactives here either), and that's how I fixed it

That's how I've been fixing the errors as I stumble across them. The only worry I have is sometimes it'll go a few weeks and I'll "fly back" to a certain area and "BAM!" things are like this...Does saving the TDB via TSRE with a "bare" red pole, even though it's not bare, cause major issues like MSTS-RE did? That's what I'm worried about.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

I'm having to run another re-build as I went to test an area yesterday and got something like a "Fatal error has occurred" in ORTS. So far, following a certain path of re-building, I HAVE NOT run into the issues I described previously...

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.

Quote Originally Posted by fchrist16 View Post
    That's how I've been fixing the errors as I stumble across them. The only worry I have is sometimes it'll go a few weeks and I'll "fly back" to a certain area and "BAM!" things are like this...Does saving the TDB via TSRE with a "bare" red pole, even though it's not bare, cause major issues like MSTS-RE did? That's what I'm worried about.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    The only sure fire way to "fix" it is to delete the offending piece and re-insert it. This seems to correctly resync both the TDB and world file entries.

I've had places where i had made slight adjustments to grade, and all looked fine at first glance in TSRE. But riding over in the sim resulted in stutters typical of bad track joints. Going back into TSRE, i found the yellow TDB line was indeed not aligned correctly to the next joint, although the track pieces themselves were a perfect match. Simply removing & adding the TDB (by using the Z key) still produced the same misaligned connection. Only after I deleted the track piece, and laid a fresh piece (via copy) did the actual TDB alignment match the track piece alignment.

Also, the vector flipping issue will happen even if the track section in question is free of interactives end to end. You need to make sure any linked signals across the opposing junctions are also deleted first prior to editing the tracks. Best of course is having the entire route interactive free to be sure, but this is something to keep in mind for editing an already fully equipped route.