Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler's excellent new IC SD40 models - a problem

Default Tyler's excellent new IC SD40 models - a problem

First of all let me show you some in game shots to show how good they are.

I especially like the Virtual Cab BUT I'm having an issue with it "in game". I've tried this both in MSTS and OR. As the loco's are runable in both I had to chose somewhere to post this.

The issue is that the consist above includes a BLW Monon Caboose. As many of you will know the BLW/ZT stock has been using "virtual cabs" for some time. In OR, with a BLW/ZT consist of 2 or 3 loco's with a cab on the end, you can cycle through all the views by pressing the 5 key.

Now with the consist above the train loads with the Virtual Cabview. If I press 1 for the conventional cabview I have no cabview (which may be an aliasing issue BUT that is irrelevant) but if I press the 5 key I find myself in the Caboose. Pressing the 5 key again does nothing.

SO...

I tried again and started off in the virtual cab and switched to a 4 cam view. WHEN I switched back to the 1 key I was cabless and hitting 5 put me back in the Caboose.

NOW....

Even if there's no visible cabview with the 1 key surely pressing the 5 key from that view OUGHT to put me in the Virtual cab?

PERSONALLY I'd rather used the virtual cab all the time and with such decent virtual cabs now being produced maybe that is a coding issue?

Any help welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Geoff.

FYI M$oft/KUJU labeled the 5 Key for MSTS as the "Passenger View" not "Virtual Cab view".

As to your problem: Have you verified that the PassengerCabinFile path and file name in the ENG file are correct? Problem could be sim can't find the PassengerCabinFile file defined for the ENG cab. Or their could be another error in the Inside section of the ENG file.

BUT: Are you referring to the ICG SD40s in ICG_SD40_70s.zip? Those have 3dcabs. 3dCabs are accessed by the ALT+1 key NOT the 5 key. In OR not MSTS!
    Charles

In the process of downloading the ICG SD40s. I notice in the file list that the only file listed in the Cabview folder is the file ICG_SD40_70s/ICG_SD40_70s/CABVIEW3D/SD40.cvf. I suspect that your problem of no cab in the #1 view is that you don't have the files aliased in the SD40.CVF.

Will post again after installing & testing these ENGs.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    In the process of downloading the ICG SD40s. I notice in the file list that the only file listed in the Cabview folder is the file ICG_SD40_70s/ICG_SD40_70s/CABVIEW3D/SD40.cvf. I suspect that your problem of no cab in the #1 view is that you don't have the files aliased in the SD40.CVF.

Will post again after installing & testing these ENGs.
    As I said Charles I'm not surprised that I have no 1 key cabview as (I believe) these are aliased to the DEFAULT cabview. I modified my DEFAULT models many moons ago so it could be that.... but in any case I thought the DEFAULT SD40 cabview was..... lets keep it polite "Not that good".

BTW Alt = 1 was the command I missed (and YES I did look at the keyboard guide).

Of course you're right about the 5 key being passenger view but as the only other "Virtual cabs" I've used were Gatean's he obviously used that key. A Good choice BTW because you can quickly cycle through a number of onboard views with the same key.

Thanks for the Solution.

I need to do some aliasing for better sounds but the models are top notch
    Geoff
    UK

Realised why I kept missing the Key Command.

I missed the fact that the OR switch is for 3D Cab rather than Virtual Cab. ...yeah, yeah... obvious! When you spot it.
    Geoff
    UK

Yes the 2dCab CVF is aliased to the SD402 cab. Easily fixed to a better cab, however be careful so that you do not choose one very different from the 3dCab as you will notice the difference when switching back and forth from #1 key view to ALT=1 key view.

Calling the view reached by the #5 key a Virtual cab is a bit of a misnomer. All of the Cab views are Virtual.
    "Virtual
    ADJECTIVE

• almost or nearly as described, but not completely or according to strict definition."

Actual the #5 view in MSTS/ORTS is the least virtual. Most were made from a photo so they do look realistic but it is still 2 dimensional. The mouse controls are not usable to turn on switches (lights), press buttons (horn), or move handles (reverser or throttle), but the keyboard control is usable. The view is limited in rotation and movement to a particular angle,

The 2dCabview does has mouse controls, but changing the view in azimuth is a flipping 90degrees left or right or 180 degrees to view another "picture".

The 3dCabView is much more "virtual" than the other views. It is not a view of a 2dimensional picture but a view from within a shape. Mouse controls are (can be) available. Head movement is incrementally rotational both horizontal and vertical. Movement can be made within the shape.

FYI When starting in ORTS with a lead ENG with a 3dCab, ORTS will default to the 3dView even if a 2dCabview is defined. Afterwards going to an external view and returning to the 3dview requires the ALT+1 key combination. #1 key alone results in the 2dview. If no 2dCabview is defined in the ENG file, the ALT combination is not required. (Note my use of "defined". In Geoff's case the 2dCabview is defined. But will not display because he does not have the ACE files present where the CVF has specified them to be located.)

Charles

Regarding 3D cab views in OR...FYI...from this thread at ET

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ys-1-and-alt1/

I would like to propose a change for cabview keyboard assignment.

Currently :
    - Pushing 1 selects the 2D cab
    - Pushing Alt + 1 selects the 3D cab

It is really annoying to enter the 2D cab instead of the 3D cab when pushing 1.

I would like to propose this :
    - Pushing 1 selects the currently selected cab (2D or 3D)
    - Pushing Alt + 1 toggles between 2D and 3D cab

Just to let you know that this sensible proposal has now been implemented and is available in the Unstable version.

It will appear in the Testing version shortly.

Thanks to Serana and YoRyan for this.
    Chris Jakeman
    Open Rails Management Team
    Agree about Tyler's fine work!
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

This issue was also raised in the same thread that Gerry referred to above, BUT there has yet to be a response.
    name='ErickC'
    Along with this, would it be possible for OR to recognize a 3D cab as a cab? Presently, locomotives with only a 3D cab still need a "cabview" defined. I define a null file that doesn't exist, but it really seems unnecessary. If you do not have a cabview line present, only a 3D cab definition, OR will treat the locomotive as though it lacks a cab.
    I have not observed this although I have not had a situation where I would have. The comment I made above in #6 about when no 2dcab defined came from the Manual not from my experience.

After testing I can confirm Eric's observations. ENG w/o a Cabview line for the 2dcab will not appear in the OR menu as a selectable ENG nor will the consist which has this ENG as lead loco appear in the selection list. Did not test for activity which used as the Player loco.
    Last edited by crstagg; 08-14-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Confirming observations of ErickC
    Charles

Thank's Charles and Gerry,

Really useful feedback and at least I feel that others may gain from your input even if my missing 3D when looking for Virtual was a bit "tunnel visioned"? LOL!

It's becoming more and more the better choice to run (most) stuff in OR now. Any doubters might be interested to know that I was quite shocked to see how much better the frame rates were when I tested some reskins in both MSTS and OR. My machine is still pretty high spec compared to cheaper new machines but that doesn't really matter because if you run the exact same consist on the exact same route in both Sims the only difference is the Sim Software? I know I'm preaching to the converted with many but I do urge those still shying away from OR to give it a try.

...oh and "bring on the 3D cabs" The ability to move around and look around from almost any position on the locomotive make the "rigor mortice" of MSTS's front view, left view, right view seem REALLY archaic. Another BIG plus it the ability to vary FOV of the view in the 3D cab.
    Geoff
    UK

I'm glad to hear you got the issue sorted out! I aliased the 2D cabview and sound to the Default SD40-2 because I figured most folks would re-alias them to their favorite sounds, and most folks would avoid the 2D cab all together. It is a bit annoying to have to press Alt + 1 to get to the 3D cab, but I've gotten better at doing it without thinking too hard.

Tyler