Thread: Bi-Directional Signals

Cool Bi-Directional Signals

Colleagues,

There have been some excellent new signals in the library lately and I admit that I have not
    downloaded any yet and checked the contents but I wonder if any one has produced
    bi-directional intermediate signals, especially with the long hood.

These signals have appeared in the last several years and consist of signal heads facing in
    both directions on one mast. These occur in two forms, either as a ground mount, in
    which case the control circuits are in a small bungalow, typically 4'x4'. Another type
    is called a "top mount" in which the mast extends out of the roof of a small bungalow,
    typically 4'x4'. Such a signal could have 1 head on both sides, or 1 head one one side
    with 2 heads on the other, or it could have 2 heads on both sides.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

What style of freestanding shape are you looking for? I have several modern colorlights with bi-directional automatics. For now I only have one bungalow mount. All my shapes, at least, are set up that both directions can have two heads

Travis,

Your chain was what I was yanking because what you have done look very good in the
    thumb nail images. What I am looking for is the modern style, long hood, sometimes
    referred to as "Safetran" although others make them, or "Darth Vader". CSX and SR
    have, in the last decade, converted their own unique style of signals & signal bridges to
    the modern standard design used by most all roads.

But in both cases, intermediate signals are often bi-directional. Early on many of the
    CSX conversions (I know, I was one of the helpers in designing these during the 11
    years I worked for SouthWest Signal---> Xorail ------>WABTEC/XORAIL) top or roof
    mounts were popular, usually using 4'x4' bungalows. Later free standing signals were
    used. And in double track, where you would have 2 bi-directional signals, one on either
    track, free standing was the norm, with a separate bungalow nearby. Does that help?

Also, while I have no objection to ORTS, I prefer to use signals and other items that are
    compatible with either MSTS or ORTS. Too dang many potential users don't read the
    instruction and that results in nastygrams to the author.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired)
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 08-19-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add ORTS/MSTS compatible comment

Your chain was what I was yanking...
    Rubbish!

What I am looking for is the modern style, long hood, sometimes referred to as "Safetran" although others make them, or "Darth Vader". CSX and SR have, in the last decade, converted their own unique style of signals & signal bridges to the modern standard design used by most all roads.
    So I assume you're looking for the style used by CSX these days? The freestanding models, in particular, can vary widely between railroads. One need only compare NS's 'tombstone' signals with the prison-grade ladders to signals of any rational railroad to see that. Oddly enough, every Class I railroad that isn't Canadian at heart seems to have converted to using Safetran heads for the time being, except maybe UP, who has quite a few L&W products. There is a modern style of bungalow mount used in this area, which I think is what you're looking for. Problem is...they're on the far side of a busy double-track mainline from an even busier highway, and none are near crossings. I can try to get a look at one so I can build it, but no guarantees. I have one design and part of another done, with at least one other that I have photos of. Two are L&W, and the other is...Modern Mfg? They make signals for CP, and the platforms look like their work

Travis,

It would be difficult, even impossible, to account for all the possible variations in modern signals. So
    what I would like would be a generic bi-directional intermediate with 1 head in each direction, 1 head
    one-way, and 2 heads the other, and then 2 heads both ways. The exact type of bungalow should
    also be generic. Top mounts of each of the 3 above signals would typically be on 4'x4' bungalows.
    All bungalows are the same height, about 7 feet so a tall person can stand in them. As far as I
    know, we only have one size of bungalow, but it would be desirable to have 4'x4', 6'x6', 8'x8' and
    8'x12'. There are larger ones but as those often have a double door, it ought to be possible to
    place two together to simulate a larger size.

Your efforts are much appreciated. Perhaps the real issue is how to script the signal rules. The
    biggest difference is like that between CSX & NS (at least the old SR). Old SR used route signaling
    so for example, a Red over Green meant to proceed diverging but the crew had to know what the
    allowed speed for that turnout was. On CSX that would be a diverging clear which has a specific
    allowed speed unless indicated otherwise, often by a bulletin order.

J. H. Sullivan