Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadrailers

Default Roadrailers

Did not some one come out with a PAYWARE Roadrailer set?
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Train Simulations, when they went under Streamlines, released a set for the Modern Horseshoe curve route in the F/L. It contained a set of Triple-Crown roadrailers.

That set was discontinued some time ago.

A better freeware alternative is dr_roadrailer.zip in the F/L. These are some excellent Swift Roadrailers, with plenty of detail.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

I agree. David Rowe's freeware set was a way better than the SLI version at the time.

And the LLW that's in there to.

Thanks gang !!!!!!!!!!
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Train Simulations, when they went under Streamlines, released a set for the Modern Horseshoe curve route in the F/L. It contained a set of Triple-Crown roadrailers.

That set was discontinued some time ago.

A better freeware alternative is dr_roadrailer.zip in the F/L. These are some excellent Swift Roadrailers, with plenty of detail.
    Just for info : I bought the SLI Roadrailer pack and I think these SView screengrabs prove Parkers point? The detail is much better on the freeware set. BTW even with Geoff's FIX the LLW set uploaded by Austin seems to be floating above the track and is less detailed than either the SLI or DR set.

Freeware on top, SLI underneath

Click to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

WOW! Check this out. https://www.railpictures.net/photo/460398/

You learn something everyday? I thought Mixed trains died with the demise of individual Road's own passenger services.

Perhaps Amtrak can haul some behind the new Acela !!! LOL.
    Geoff
    UK

Geoff, thanks for the comparison pics. While I knew David Rowe's Roadrailers were better than the SLI version, I couldn't do a direct comparison, because I don't own the SLI version.

Some history on Amtrak Mixed Trains:

Amtrak in the late 90s got into express freight using not only roadrailers, but MHCs (fancy express boxcars) and specially modified boxcars (without express trucks). Some Amtrak trains ended being almost entirely express freight.

After some complaints from the freight railroads in the early 2000s, a speed limit was put on all of Amtrak's express freight equipment, and that pretty much put a end to such things.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested, Tiger Trains offers models of the ExpressTrak reefers and express US Mail box cars used by Amtrak in (IIRC) the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Some history on Amtrak Mixed Trains:

Amtrak in the late 90s got into express freight using not only roadrailers, but MHCs (fancy express boxcars) and specially modified boxcars (without express trucks). Some Amtrak trains ended being almost entirely express freight.

After some complaints from the freight railroads in the early 2000s, a speed limit was put on all of Amtrak's express freight equipment, and that pretty much put a end to such things.
    LOL! So much for the Great God Capitalism's greatest creed? Competition!!! Can't see how a handful of Amtrak fast freights could have been SUCH a massive threat to any of the BIG 4? Interesting background and I need to go back to my Amtrak books to as I don't remember seeing much reference to this in those I have. It might be after they were published.

I also did some searches for pictures of the Road Railer trucks and there are quite a few decent ones. Including quite a few in Amtrak Livery.

I might have a go at photo-skinning the Swift ones because they are much better than the SLI set. Since I got involved with the Horseshoe Curve route and the SLI pack dedicated to it my interest has moved to earlier eras but I'll see how they work out as an experiment.
    Geoff
    UK