Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: revisting an old project

50s/60s?
    Mower please.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Actually, Michelle, I am working on a set of actual T105 propane cars from the fifties/sixties - model by Paul Charland. I'll share more in time (it's late ...) but here is one shot:
    Great looking tank car. Been looking for one very similar that was a silver DODX car that was used in the 60s and early 70s for hauling jet fuel to the two Marine bases from the State Port on the North Carolina coast. Remember those tank car trains ran back and forth every day except Sunday.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Couple of screenshots of what I was talking about:DODX Tank 1.jpg DODX Tank 2.jpg
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

I'm finding that Learning Blender 2.8 is a bit easier when I focus on re-making/reworking my low poly models into higher poly models. An update to old old project, this one is a (STILL!!!) unfinished B23-7.

http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

After remembering the step handrail was just a placeholder... one with more realistic railing. Next, I need cutouts on the end platform... so I'll have fun with boolean cuts.

In IRC at freenode #msts

So carrying on... The B23-7 needs trucks AAR TYpe B trucks. I did a really crappy model of this ages ago for the Baldwin AS16 and I started to use it as a starting point... but no... these were ugly. So, a nice person at Elvas Tower posted some bogies awhile back and I thought these would maybe be a drop in replacement. Not really though, the AAR B truck was a friction bearing type. No big deal, Allen Norton-"B&O Guy" gave us the DST file. So... I grabbed 3D Canvas and imported the DST file. (note. the DST is in Feet and Inches and I model in Meters, so import at 0.3048 scale ratio.)

Then EXPORTED that model as a Collada DAE.

The imported model in Blender was used as the basis for a non-friction bearing B-Truck. All brake rigging, brake cylinder shapes and of the all the linkage redone, the springs were adjusted to better match prototype photo's.

End result:

Still lacking is the brake piping and sanding hoses but that is enough for an afternoon of goofing around.

Please note: I'm mainly sharing this stuff to show that with some effort, you can do Blender too. It definitely takes effort to overcome the learning curve before you get more comfortable. Initially, I thought all the short cut keys would drive me nuts... but its very efficient once you have a few of them memorized. It behaves a LOT differently from 3D CANVAS and Train Sim Modeler, but it has so many ways that it is superior to both. I don't even miss the "helper tools" in Canvas anymore.
    Last edited by pwillard; 09-29-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Looking great Pete.

Once you've built the basic GE shape how difficult would it be to rejig that to do some earlier U boat models too? I realise the trucks varied but the bodywork differences were not that great?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

With the B23-7 and others, I'm sure, GE has a trade-in policy that allowed customers to re-use the trucks from existing rosters. That's why the B23-7 can be seen in the wild with AAR-B, Blomberg B and in some rare cases even some with Floating bolster (FB2) trucks which were probably "default" and mainly seen in the DASH-8's like the B40. (Never seen one with Flexicoil though... probably not a good wheelbase match) I'm thinking that Conrail bought the most B23-7's and I'm pretty sure nearly all of them use the AAR-B truck.

You are right though, there are no big differences in many GE Diesels. The main differences were related to the size of the engine (And hence, hood door counts and placement) , body length, the type of exhaust stack, and cab nose details. The newer GE releases were of course more squared-off but even the B23-7 has an "R" version that makes it look more like a shrunk B40 with a hunchback.

So, with a base model... it's not unreasonable to make others. I started a B39 based on my B40 years ago... but a better B39 was released before I was done with mine. (Did I mention that I'm slow?)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Nice work, I'd be up for a ATSF version with FB-2s, whenever the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    With the B23-7 and others, I'm sure, GE has a trade-in policy that allowed customers to re-use the trucks from existing rosters. That's why the B23-7 can be seen in the wild with AAR-B, Blomberg B and in some rare cases even some with Floating bolster (FB2) trucks which were probably "default" and mainly seen in the DASH-8's like the B40. (Never seen one with Flexicoil though... probably not a good wheelbase match) I'm thinking that Conrail bought the most B23-7's and I'm pretty sure nearly all of them use the AAR-B truck.
    You could also actually buy a GE specifically equipped with the truck of your choice. The SCL and Auto-Train U36Bs didn't use trade-in Blombergs, but were built using new Blomberg B trucks.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

You could also actually buy a GE specifically equipped with the truck of your choice. The SCL and Auto-Train U36Bs didn't use trade-in Blombergs, but were built using new Blomberg B trucks.
    Cool, I didn't know that.

I added the trucks and did some work on the end (boolean cut-outs) and added the nose... fixed the deck up a bit, resized the radiator (was a wee bit large).

I'm thinking I need to lower the end railings... My reference shows them attaching the same height as the second step. Mine look a bit higher.

It's good you can't see the nose. It grew some wrinkles after some tweaks. Now... if I was reproducing a wrecked nose as seen on so many B23's, great... but I'm not.

Last edited by pwillard; 09-30-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    In IRC at freenode #msts