Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to edit TrainSim posts?

Default Is there a way to edit TrainSim posts?

Hi I wanted to ask if I could edit my posts on TrainSim. Because I am not able to find any tutorials on the Web.
    Stay home, stay safe!

You have a short window to edit a post but after a while it is logged. This is to prevent misuse, I believe - e.g. someone getting called out on an inaccurate or potentially slanderous post then going back to edit it. For a short time after creating the post, you will see at the bottom right hand corner a link stating "Edit Post". Simples.
    Vern.

ok, thank you.
    Stay home, stay safe!

You certainly can't edit any post you've created after you have logged out of the forum, only whilst you are in here. And I've never seen any tutorials on the internet about it, in over 10 years.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .....This is to prevent misuse, I believe - e.g. someone getting called out on an inaccurate or potentially slanderous post then going back to edit it......
    That raises an interesting point, Vern: we can't edit what we post (outside of that short window of opportunity) yet a Moderator can not only remove posts but has the ability to also edit what is posted.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Just think 1984 and the Thought Police, Bruce.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    But then consider the position of said Moderator if he turns your "pure as driven snow" posting into something that offends? Maybe they should stick to enforcing the forum rules rather than editing or removing posts?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Well, yes and no, Mike.

Until Vern mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the fact that what is published on the internet is, in many countries, considered to be the equivalent of a written and/or oral statement.
    I know here in Oz that emails have been classed as such, to the extent that if I am emailed an invoice or a bill or a statement then that is, by law, deemed the same as if I had received same via the traditional postal service.

So maybe, when it comes to libel or slander, what we write in a forum (or Faceblecch or Twatter) could be considered as being exactly the same as having it printed in a newspaper or magazine.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Well, yes and no, Mike.

Until Vern mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the fact that what is published on the internet is, in many countries, considered to be the equivalent of a written and/or oral statement.
    I know here in Oz that emails have been classed as such, to the extent that if I am emailed an invoice or a bill or a statement then that is, by law, deemed the same as if I had received same via the traditional postal service.

So maybe, when it comes to libel or slander, what we write in a forum (or Faceblecch or Twatter) could be considered as being exactly the same as having it printed in a newspaper or magazine.
    Not sure that all companies or indeed what the law is on invoices here now. Long time since I issued any. Perhaps I should knock a few off to see if anyone's mug enough to pay them?! Certainly last time I did some private work the organisation I did that for were happy with PDF invoices if they were saved as "read only/uneditable".

As far as libel (slander being spoken rather than printed?) I think that's now applicable to stuff written online too. Thus my point about the danger of "editing" someone else's comments.

BTW a word of defence on Facebook. There's Soooo many things that are irritating, poorly implemented, and downright nasty on FB but, and it's a BIG BUT, there are also some absolutely 1st class enthusiast, photographic, history type pages there too. The narcissistic selfie obsessed nincompoops are self evident as soon as you open it, but search for specific photographic types, railroad companies, military unit types etc. and you'll fine a wealth of useful reference shared. I'd liken it to a hammer. In the right hands it can be used to build things. In the wrong hands it can quickly destroy things.

Twitter? What can I say? A certain politician has made himself an International laughing stock using it.... Not that politicians didn't do a good job of that LONG before Twitter?
    Last edited by lateagain; 08-28-2020 at 03:00 AM.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Frankly, there are only two moderators left, and we get nothing in return for having to babysit those who don't play well with others.

Y'all pissing and moaning about the moderating have been here for ten years. When your posts get flagged by others, I'm not going to waste time asking you to play nice because you should know better by now.

So the chainsaw comes out and posts disappear. Maybe you'll get the hint and play better next time.