Thread: Getting back to a childhood hobby (route list)

Default Getting back to a childhood hobby (route list)

Hello all,

I've recently had an itch to get back into MSTS for the first time since I was a teen. I've been reading around the forums about updates to MSTS and now Open rails and it's awesome to see. I'm looking to put together a list of routes both freeware and payware to start out with. I have the following that I would like to try but would love suggestions on others I may not have heard about.

Pocahontas District
    Horshoe Curve
    Atlanta & Macon
    Conrail Indy
    CSX Florida Funnel Route
    Cajon Pass
    Sandpatch
    Seligman Sub

Like I said i'm open to both payware and freeware and i'm most interested in East Coast Freight Routes but i'd love to hear about any North American routes!

Just as I was told about once more, why not try out The Freeware Free-Lanced LaSalle,Rockford, & Central Railroad ( LSR&C )? It does fill in most gap areas, & the work on its scenery is awesome! The Freeware Surfliner Route's also an awesome Route to have! Its scenery is also up there! Why not SAL's ( CSXT today ) FL Route ( Tampa,FL-Oxford,FL based on The S-Line in the 60s, but could be used today as well ). And by the same guy who'd done The NS's AtL-Macon,GA Route you listed, try his NS Birmingham Route! There's just several others ( way too many to list ), it just depends on your taste+demands on what you want to run & equipment you want to use. I wasn't active in MSTS nor' ORTS myself for about 5 Years due to a Computer crash, but it's been way worth the wait, & ORTS does seem to be better+more flexiable.

Another route that's stood the test of time is Rick Bergs Monon. And OR loves it.
    Also all of the Milwaukee RMD routes here in the FL.

Randy

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

I really enjoy Rich Garber's work, he has the ability to make
    routes and activities really immersive.

See
    Canton, Cumberland, Ohio Rail, East Metro

at

http://www.allaboardrails.com/co.htm

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

If you want to take a look at a payware made for Open Rails, Equipment (with OR physics) and activities included try this:
    Montana Rail Link - Mullan Pass Route
    *** important: Follow installation instructions precisely.

https://www.trainsimulations.net/products.html

Also download the free Starter Route, which includes the latest stable version of OR.

Freeware from the library here:
    Blue Comet Line
    ORTS CN Blackfoot Summer Edition V1 created by Rory Rice
    agree with recommendations about the MONON, Horseshoe Curve.

Also - important - Do Not install routes, equipments, everything "trainsim" in the protected windows folders. Install ( except for the OR payware from Train Simulations ) into a directory -- for example: C:\TrainStuff --- or any name that makes sense to you.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 08-28-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.