Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DARv3 does not show up in available routes in OR or MSTS.

Let's see, include basic computer knowledge in the readme that nobody reads, that should help. This program has been out for 20 years doing the same thing and it's a pretty common program.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Let's see, include basic computer knowledge in the readme that nobody reads, that should help. This program has been out for 20 years doing the same thing and it's a pretty common program.

Paul
    Paul, I sympathize -- getting people to read the readme is like headbanging2.jpg

I haven't used Winzip in years --- switched to WinRAR because it allowed me to configure the end folder that the zip unpacked to...does that sentence make sense?? No double folders...I think Winzip does the same thing, could very well be wrong on that point. Also I have read that RAR is better than zips -- although -- I don't know if TS library accepts that format.

More importantly to the point...if people would only unzip to a temp folder and figure everything out there, before installing the route to the final MSTS/ORTS working folder many of these installation problems would not occur. I adopted that routine early on and while I've had some problems with routes, every problem was solved in the temp folder.

note: temp folder should contain all the MSTS default routes for any bat files to use...mostly for older MSTS routes.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 09-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Not sure when the last time you uploaded a file to Trainsim but they will not accept RAR files or anything other the zip files.

At some point the end user of a route is resposible for his or her own basic computer knowledge. Every time I've poster a route there is always someone who doesn't bother reading the readme and ends up emailing me telling me there is something wrong with the route that hundreds of others had no trouble installing. This time it was someone complaining the route didn't work. I asked him where he had Open Rails installed, and it turned out he didn't have a train simulator and just expected the route to open on it's own.

I too do much the same as you, download the zip to a Download file, unzip it there, and look at it before ever moving it to the routes folder. That was what I was taught twenty some years ago when I first got a computer, it's just a good practice.

Paul :-)

Yes, I know. The consists are in the consist folder under the Trains folder. I unzip all my new downloads to a temp folder, open them check the files and read the text and read me files first. I downloaded DARv3 to a temp file. Win 10 unzipped it automatically in that temp folder so there was only one DARv3 folder in the temp folder. I opened that folder did the read me etc, unzipped consists to a temp folder. I then, after looking them over, placed them into the Consist folder under the Trains folder. I then copied the DARv3 folder to the routes folder. Next I downloaded the rolling stock, checked each item for proper files inside and placed them in the trainset folder.

Today I am going to see if CB will recognize the CON files and run them through CB.. I better also check if I have the latest version of Con Builder...
    Dave Kolbenschlag

... This time it was someone complaining the route didn't work. I asked him where he had Open Rails installed, and it turned out he didn't have a train simulator and just expected the route to open on it's own...
    Too much! But I'd bet that with all the routes you've created and uploaded over the years, you have probably heard it all! Anyway, again, thanks for the fine content you've created for all of us to use...a kindness, Paul, that is certainly appreciated.
    HatTip.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

So Dave, can you open this in Open Rails? I included a set of activities for MSTS and if none of them are in the Activities folder you will not see the route listed in MSTS.

Paul
    It all depends on how you create the ZIP. If you ZIP the folder of DARV3 by selecting the folder then you get DARV3\DARV3\Activities. But if you ZIP it by selecting the contents of the folder DARV3 then you get DARV3\Activities.
    Charles

I have DAR3 installed, route only, no activities or stock.
    Works fine.
    I'm OR only.

Randy

Hi Paul,
    In the DARv3 folder in the MSTS program Activities folder there are two folders for MSTS activities and another for Open Rails activities. The OR Activities folder is empty. I did copy the files in the MSTS folder to the MSTS Activities folder. I then copied the act files that were present in the DARv3 itself to the MSTS Activities folder.

Here are the folders present in the DARv3 /Activities now in the MSTS Train Simulator folder.
    Activities,consists,MSTS Activities,OR Activities, Route maps, V3 work orders. Followed by 13 act files. As stated I opened the MSTS folder and copied those to the Activities folder. No OR files are present it the OR folder. I can do some screen shots if you want.
    Dave Kolbenschlag

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about this Dave. The activities that were present when you unzipped the route were the Open Rails activities. If you were going to run the route in MSTS you should have cut the activities and placed them in the OR Activities folder provided, then copied the MSTS activities and placed them in the Activities folder. The only difference between the two is they use different RDCs and the first batch of SW1200RSs I made years ago. The reason when the newer models don't work in MSTS is the cabviews are 1024 and not 512 ace files.