Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Mail disruption.

Default US Mail disruption.

Well with all the other problems we're all facing right now the story of disruption of the US Mail for more sinister reasons than Cliff Clavin meant little to us this side of the pond.

That is until I ordered a secondhand railroad book from a bookshop in CA. I've bought dozens of Railroad books in the last 20 years and I've never had one go missing ...until now

Most books arrive within two weeks and only very rarely take longer. My latest purchase has now been over 6 weeks and I'm at the point of getting a refund. My question is just to find out if many folk here on the forum have experienced problems with the US mail recently? By that I mean 1st hand experience. I'm pretty cynical about the reliability of ANY media report so I'm guessing there may be agendas in their reporting.

I don't like the fact that the bookshop will lose out having posted the item in good faith and if the book does turn up I'll happily return it but now I'm a fair amount of bucks down and with Zilch to show for it. Meanwhile another copy has been listed at a reasonable price.

PS for any too young to remember Cliff.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Clavin
    The US Mail's finest! LOL!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Geoff,

Over the past few months I have had packages delivered by Amazon, FEDEX, UPS, and USPS. All were received by the date specified or earlier.

Several years ago I had a problem with one item. It turned out to be an unscrupulous vendor and my funds were returned by PayPal.

Fred

PS - I forgot to mention that many vendors use USPS and then use one of the above mentioned services as "Last Mile" deliverer.
    Last edited by frliss; 09-07-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: additions

Letters, bills, bill payments by mail, not so much. Parcels, yes. A joystick ordered at the beginning of August, from eBay (for my grandson), was mailed out of a Chicago post office, and parts-and-parcels from neighboring Illinois usually would take 3, 4 days to reach my home here in Indiana - it's not that far away. It took 3 weeks, its progress carefully tracked and monitored by myself and the seller - who told me she was having horrendous problems with USPS deliveries of her sold goods. The delays are real. Never seen it like this before. It's bad form on the forum to digress into the reasons why, but it just shouldn't be like this.
    Last edited by ftldave; 09-07-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Letters, not so much. Parcels, yes. A joystick ordered at the beginning of August, from eBay (for my grandson), was mailed out of a Chicago post office, and parts-and-parcels from neighboring Illinois usually would take 3, 4 days to reach my home here in Indiana - it's not that far away. It took 3 weeks, carefully tracked and monitored by myself and the seller - who told me she was having horrendous problems with USPS deliveries of her sold goods. The delays are real. Never seen it like this before. It's bad form on the forum to digress into the reasons why, but it just shouldn't be like this.
    Thanks Fred, Dave,

The Media stories about what's going on are there for everyone to read. Of course because of the alleged political motivation for the disruption practically NONE of the media coverage can be trusted? In the Tradition of Pantomime ......"OH NO IT ISN'T.... OH YES IT IS"

That's why I wanted to know if anyone had ACTUAL problems. The reasons are irrelevant to my purchase and unfortunately the Bookshop, under the web book directory Alibris, had a policy of sending stuff standard "untrackable" mail. Alibris told me their policy was to batch overseas orders together for forwarding to the individual countries. NOT using a trackable service they've no more idea of where my order is than I have.

In the UK orders are the responsibility of the dispatcher until they are delivered. Even a certificate of posting entitles the dispatcher to a basic level of compensation if the Mail lose the package over here.

Obviously any replacement will need to come via a distributor that has more robust shipping policies but I guess there might still be delays.

Still one hick-up for me... Sorry to hear that you guys are being so badly affected by it.

On the bright side they just repeated all of the CHEERS TV series over here so at least I've got Cliff Clavin to give me a laugh with my breakfast
    Geoff
    UK

Maybe your problem is with the UK post office.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hi,

3 weeks ago I ordered some SOOW 12/4 AWG electrical cable of 35 feet. It kept bouncing between 2 post offices in upstate NY for over 2 weeks. I never thought it would get out of the bouncy loop it was seemly forever stuck in.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Maybe your problem is with the UK post office.
    There are no current issues with the UK postal service. For all the information the supplier and their agent can give me it might be sitting in YOUR local sorting office .
    Geoff
    UK

Geoff, most Americans have no knowledge of the fine British tradition of Pantomime. If we did, I'm sure they'd have been working overtime in the last years. Myself though, I find it hard to laugh at what is really a gigantic tragedy that affects me and us a little too directly.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Geoff, most Americans have no knowledge of the fine British tradition of Pantomime. If we did, I'm sure they'd have been working overtime in the last years. Myself though, I find it hard to laugh at what is really a gigantic tragedy that affects me and us a little too directly.
    Christopher
    Thanks for pointing that out Chris. I guess it's so much part of the British Christmas that you assume it's universal.... but then y'all probably think we drink eggnog?! LOL! My frustration at not receiving a book is of course just a trivial inconvenience. I can well imagine the more serious items sent by mail, being lost or delayed, must be causing very real hardship

For those my reference confused, there's a good explanation and history here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime

I would add to that. The very best Pantomimes usually contain topical references. Double entendre, cleverly written into the script allows "risky" or satirical content to be included in seemingly innocent humour for the children. Humour for both parents and children in one gag! The classic characters can also be used to take swipes at current villains.

Of course Farce only works because of it's absurdity? ...so when real life becomes more absurd than the Satire things can get to be far from funny? I can state with authority that this has been the case for the last decade in the UK.

I leave it to you all to judge how things are going that side of the pond?
    In the tradition of Pantomime which has a great deal of audience participation...

Principle Character from Stage
    "Everything is GREAT here.."
    Audience
    "OH NO IT ISN'T"
    Principle Character from Stage
    "OH YES IT IS!"
    Audience
    "OH NO IT ISN'T"
    ...and so on until another character interrupts the exchange.
    Geoff
    UK

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Geoff,your last few lines of the Principal character etc reminds me of my exchanges with my MP on virtually everything that is going on in this country ! (Guess who is who)