Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with RefView

Default Problem with RefView

Hi all,

I downloaded a copy of RefView from the file library. The readme says that it can view and edit the contents of the ref file as well as provide a few other functions. After installing the program according to the readme, when I try to run the program all I get is an error message saying that the train simulator is not properly installed.

I would appreciate any help in getting this program to run.

Fred

Do you have MSTS installed?
    If not you may be able to trick it by including an empty text file named train.exe in the folder along with Trains, Global, etc.

Randy

Randy,

I have an installed copy of MSTS with all the default routes on my system disk in a directory called 1MSTS. In another directory (0MSTS) I have about 30 mini routes, half of which used to run on MSTS before I switched from Win7 to Win10. The rest have the minimum ORTS configuration with an empty train.exe file.

A good question is how does RefView know what directory to look at?

Fred

Hi Fred,
    Even if you've got MSTS correctly installed, RefView still reports that it's not correctly installed!! I've tried everything I could think of, compatibility-wise, to get it to work, but without success - in Windows 10

In Windows 7, however, it doesn't show that message and starts correctly!

Cheers,
    Ged

I have Win 10 2004 new install, and just made a fresh install of MSTS and Refview. Refview works just fine here. My MSTS install is E:\Train Simulator. Only thing I did with Refview is Run as Administrator.

It will only work with routes that are in the main train sim folders as defined in the registry.. I have not yet tried changing the registry to point at a mini route install.
    Last edited by baldwin; 09-09-2020 at 08:34 AM. Reason: additional info
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi Baldwin,
    Thanks for the update - I must have something missing from my setup! I've checked for Net Framework v1.1, just in case, but that's OK. Needless to say, my MSTS and all associated utilities are NOT on drive C:!

I, too, am running v2004 of Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Ged

You might want to try mstsrfm here in the downloads. It'll let you change directories.
    Only thing it won't do is copy textures when you copy shapes to another route. I use Route_Riter for that.
    It's actually a pretty good Ref file manager.

Randy

Hi all,

Almost pulled my hair out ( whatever is left of it ) trying different ways to install RefView and had no success. Finally out of desperation I reinstalled MSTS. Guess what. RefView is working fine now.

Ged ... I would recommend reinstalling MSTS. You never know?

Fred

PS - Due to the fact that I had several external disks connected to my computer when I installed WIN10 a year ago my system disk is now drive F: The fact that MSTS is not on drive C: doesn't seem to mater.
    Last edited by frliss; 09-09-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: additions

Must be one of those programs that looks at the registry for the MSTS install.
    Add another to the list.

Randy

It looks like I was making the wrong assumption about RefView from the beginning. RefView was always properly installed. I should have listened to the error message, which was correct, and reinstalled MSTS immediately. In the distant past when I used MSTS exclusively a reinstall usually cured all ills.

By the way I created a shortcut for RefView on the desktop. It surprisingly looks like a martini. It even has a green olive with a red toothpick.

Fred