Thread: To Bin With Open Rails or Not To Bin With Open Rails Sounds?

Question To Bin With Open Rails or Not To Bin With Open Rails Sounds?

Anyone ever do like a cross-test ( of sorts, so to speak ) on whether or not the sounds tend to get even better while playing Open Rails if one were to choose The Option on The ORTS Tab? I mean, yes it's true, you don't need The Actual BIN Patch to play it, but asking others really usually helps.

In 2014 the developers were talking about making the Bin sound option a default in ORTS...I think they did that, anyway, I usually have not heard a difference --- I believe it mostly has to do with how capable your computer is with dealing with many sound sources, less powerful machines may benefit from unchecking this option. Perhaps one of the sound gurus will spot the thread and provide a more informed answer. Erick Cantu might know.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

bin is NOT needed for OR to run.
    Setting the MSTS Bin compatible sound option in the OR menu options is needed, if one wants to use the sound triggers that were added by MSTS bin, that is sound triggers for panto 2 raise/lower and for engine power on/power off (diesel or electric).

Am aware, but was just wondering's all. I've done a test myself, & havn't noticed much change. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Carlo, is there any reason we can't remove this option and make bin compatibility the default?

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    Carlo, is there any reason we can't remove this option and make bin compatibility the default?
    Carlo & Ryan -- this thread at ET, James Ross was going to do that back in 2014, don't know what happened??

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...-old-settings/
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I have checked what was done in 2014 by James. He set the default of MSTS Bin compatible sound to true as declared in the first post of the ET thread, and therefore he didn't delete the setting. Gerry, you could intervene in such thread you mentioned and ask why that setting wasn't deleted but only set to true as default. Personally I'm in favour of deleting it.

Carlo, Done.
    Cheers, Gerry