Thread: Open Rails Sound problem.

Question Open Rails Sound problem.

Hi everyone. Hope you are doing well.

So recently I am facing a sound problem in Open Rails. When I replace the wav files with my custom ones, the sounds get distorted and sometimes sound like a harmonium playing or chipmunks singing 🤣
    After searching on the OR website a little bit, I found out that Alt + S opens some kind of Sound Debug window, but that's not showing up in my PC.
    Any fixes?
    Stay home, stay safe!

Hi Brinjly,

With the amount of information you have provided, I don't see how anyone can help?

Has anyone else verified your results?
    What version of OR are you running?
    What program were your sound files created with?
    Cheers
    Derek

For starters, when you create new wave files be sure to save them as 16bit. Also be sure to match the frequency of the wave file as to what is in the SMS file.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Hi Brinjly,

With the amount of information you have provided, I don't see how anyone can help?

Has anyone else verified your results?
    What version of OR are you running?
    What program were your sound files created with?
    I am running the latest Stable version of OR. And my sound files 16 bit signed PCM wav sounds, create by the freeware program Audacity.
    Stay home, stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by rockislandfan View Post
    For starters, when you create new wave files be sure to save them as 16bit. Also be sure to match the frequency of the wave file as to what is in the SMS file.

Ron
    I saved the file as 16 bit but don't know how to match the frequency. I think that's the fault. Kindly tell me how to do that.
    Stay home, stay safe!

In general you must save the .wav file for OR or MSTS with a sample rate of 11025Hz. Check also whether the original file was mono or stereo. Your replacement file should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by csantucci View Post
    In general you must save the .wav file for OR or MSTS with a sample rate of 11025Hz. Check also whether the original file was mono or stereo. Your replacement file should be the same.
    I don't think the sample rate matters for OR, it only matters for use with MSTS. I have checked the file if it is mono or stereo as well. The replacement file is also the same. I just request anyone to please tell me how to match the frequency as @Ron said. I hope that would solve my problem.
    Stay home, stay safe!

Most Route sounds for MSTS and Open Rails use a resample rate of 11025KHz. If you are messing with engine sounds then they can also be 2205KHz or even 44100KHz. Load the original file that you are replacing into your sound editor and look in the bottom right side corner. It should show the resample rate of that file. Then when you create your own wave file be sure to use that same resample rate when you save it. If that doesn't work then your problem isn't just a simple thing as a miss matched frequency issue.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rockislandfan View Post
    Most Route sounds for MSTS and Open Rails use a resample rate of 11025KHz. If you are messing with engine sounds then they can also be 2205KHz or even 44100KHz. Load the original file that you are replacing into your sound editor and look in the bottom right side corner. It should show the resample rate of that file. Then when you create your own wave file be sure to use that same resample rate when you save it. If that doesn't work then your problem isn't just a simple thing as a miss matched frequency issue.

Ron
    You were quite right. My replacement engine horn sound had a rate of 44100KHz. And the pre-installed one had 11025KHz. Changed the resample to 11025KHz, and now the sound works fine. I often find when downloading sounds from TrainSim, they say "These sounds are made to work in Open Rails. For use with MSTS, change the resample to 11025." So, I thought that sample rate was only a matter for MSTS, but now it seems that OR also has something to do with it.
    Stay home, stay safe!

You can also add a frequency curve to allow a 44KHz sound to properly play in the sim. I don't have onehandy now, but basically any sounds I've uploaded here have an example somewhere in them. 11KHz sounds are soooo last century