Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New WIN10 Challenges

Default New WIN10 Challenges

Hello,
    Had a new WIN10 gaming machine built. I am going through a series of challenges for MSTS/OR that I need to straighten out, and I thought I had read a post - somewhere, that had WIN10 solutions for many of the numerous common programs used outside of the sim, for MSTS, and for OR.
    While I only run OR, I use the old editors for the AE. I installed MSTS in it's own directory outside of the Program folders, as preferred.
    I have to spend time trying to fix the following things that are not working:
    - cant get the editors to start (RE/AE). Click, no bang.
    - can't open shapes
    - can't open .ace files by clicking on them, but if I right click and choose "open with" TGATool2, they open.
    - need to read up on how to get Route Riter to work (it opens, but with an error, and is not functional - I know there are
    answers to this)

Not sure what other challenges are awaiting me, but - I know at some point in time, somewhere, there was a like a checklist of many things along with the fixes for WIN10, but I can't find it.

Anyone know of a list like this, and where it may reside?

Thanks very much!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Hi Neil. The only thing I found so far was this:
    https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-...-install-play/

It might give you some info.
    Rory

Did you also change your MSTS Editor Shortcut properties.

Here is mine..........for WIN 10

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Rory, I saw that site and some of it was helpful, but not the list of "fixes" I remember seeing. Darn!

Rick, my editor values looks the same. When I click the icons for MSTS or the Editors, nothing ever opens, and the Program Compatibility Assistant window pops up asking if the programs ran successfully, or not and to troubleshoot - which is a pos.
    Neil

did you run tweak uac also?
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Hi Gentlemen,
    There are no differences between running MSTS under Win 7 and Win 10 and you certainly shouldn't need Tweak UAC (I haven't used it for years)!!

One item missing from the excellent Steam4Me tutorial is that train.exe (and launcher.exe, if you MUST use it) must have their Properties > Compatibility tab set to "Run this program as an administrator". You don't need to run it in Compatibility mode for any other version of Windows.

The other main causes of MSTS failing to start are :
    1. Using an AMD graphics card
    2. Using one of the new ultra high definition monitors. I believe the maximum acceptable resolution is 1600x1200; if either of these values is exceeded, it's a no-no!

Cheers,
    Ged

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

You probably know this but just in case...

https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html

There are a lot of links to a lot of stuff.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

Hi all,
    I do appreciate your replies.
    Older Dell 21inch (yep, you read that right ) monitor, and set to 1280x1024 at the moment.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 6GB GDDR6.

MSTS and the editors/tools set to run as admin.

Neither start, and I'm not thinking it through in a straight manner due to frustration. Need a good nights sleep, and try again tomorrow. I must be missing something very obvious, and that is what bugs me the most!
    Neil

Hi Neil,
    Following your comment on the other thread, I thought I'd better respond on this one!

I know I'm going back to basics here, but do your Desktop shortcuts 'call' launcher.exe or train.exe? It should be train.exe, but note that the subsequent parameters will be different when using train.exe :

To start the sim, the Target line must be something like this : "T:\MSTS\Train Simulator\train.exe" -mem:2048
    and for the editors, it should be : "T:\MSTS\Train Simulator\train.exe" -toolset -mem:2048

Obviously, the part before 'train.exe' will be different in your case!
    The quotes are only necessary when there are spaces in the path, but, if present, MUST be in the positions shown.
    There's no point in using more than 2048 in the Mem switch as MSTS can only use about 1600.

You state "MSTS and the editors/tools set to run as admin." I assume you're referring to the Desktop shortcuts - if so, make sure that train.exe itself, in the root folder, is also set to "Run this program as an administrator".

Do not use the shortcuts in the Start Menu as they (normally) use launcher.exe.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hello again Ged!
    Yes, here was my shortcut: "C:\AAA MSTS Main Directory\train.exe" -toolset -mem:4096

I knocked it down to 2048, and read up on "scaling", made some suggested edits, and it is now opening!!!!

Again, thank you for bearing with me through this new and challenging OS switch.
    Neil