Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus Simulator 21 Announced

Default Bus Simulator 21 Announced

Yma O Hyd

The giant man waiting on the curb is about to get his feet crushed as the bus is turning far too early and will certainly have its rear wheels mount said curb.

I really hope they figure it out, this time. The first game had terrible handling and a boring map with hardly any traffic. I refunded it. The sequel, from what I've watched on Youtube, featured constant speed bumps and potholes (penalties ahoy), terrible optimization, and the passengers would either talk the same half dozen lines about some Game of Thrones-style show called "Throne Strife" or something, or about their cat, Purrly. Really. In one of the videos I saw, the player went and checked tickets and I think three passengers all said the "Here's my ticket, and here's a picture of my cat. Their name is Purrly". Pedestrians would randomly clip through your bus and give you a $20,000 fine for hitting them.

It makes you appreciate how good OMSI2 still is in comparison, to say nothing of ATS/ETS2.

That we have the typical "plastic fantastic' fake looking world all German sims seem to have, coupled with their bizarre idea of what the US looks like, makes me very cautious. I really, really hope they join the 21st century and get rid of the whole making change feature. Transit networks in North America have not given change for decades - either exact cash fare, tickets/tokens, or tap on with a card.
    Last edited by metalangel; 09-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Doesn't interest me Steve, no UK map.

Just saw it and thought i would post the info.
    Yma O Hyd

Sounds like a miss... Though could it possibly be any worse than Flight Sim 2020 which I'm now on my 4th concurrent day of trying to re-download due to the patch screwing up my install and the servers having a whiteout if you d/l at more than 500KB/s!
    Vern.

It'll be about as convincingly American as the US map in Farm Simulator 2017 was, with its German V90 shunting locomotive and distinctly Central European landscape.

The double decker bus still has an EU licence plate (so does the Porsche in the background). The single decker is shown with an emergency exit door on the lefthand side, something the North American version of the Enivro 200 (the New Flyer MD35) does not have. Very unusual to see a yellow dashed line down the middle of a city street, it is always a solid line because passing is only permitted under extra caution. The white dashed line in the banner image above is incorrect, it denotes the divide between two lanes travelling in the same direction. A large yellow box to denote the exact position of a bus stop is very European. Crosswalks are usually white markings and have a sign on a post to indicate they're there. There should be stop signs everywhere, and every signalized intersection would have at least two signals.

Saying it's "inspired by" North America is not going to convince anyone. SCS did their research for ATS as did the small team behind the Chicago DLC for OMSI2, and they've both got it pretty darn close.

Will definitely give a try and almost certainly end up refunding

I read all that and thought, Steve is definitely a no.

Then got to the last sentence, after all that dissection of the game.

And nearly choked, hahahahahaha.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    .... Transit networks in North America have not given change for decades - either exact cash fare, tickets/tokens, or tap on with a card.
    Same here.....also with urban rail.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hey, I like the subject matter enough to give it a bash, and Mike is proof that you can and should refund everything

I get the impression from OMSI2 that change is still given on some buses in Germany. When I first moved to the UK over 20 years ago, I was boggled that they were still doing it in London, with the requisite long waits at stops as the driver counted out change. OMSI2, unlike Bus Simulator 16 (don't know about 18) let you simplify the process, to the point where I just Shift T, T, Ctrl T and I've taken the money, given the change, and issued the ticket if the passenger wants one. The Chicago DLC simulates the Ventra card and the majority of your passengers just tap on.

The only time I've seen it still done in Canada is on GO Transit, who operate medium-distance commuter buses. Big delays, of course, dealing with cash and change from people too stubborn to get a Presto card.

Vern is the refund king, Steve.

OMSI 2 is good but i could never get my joystick to work with it.

I would be happy with mouse steering, but not with having to accelerate and decelerate with the mouse at the same time.

It makes control a bit of a dogs breakfast.
    Yma O Hyd

That's a big part of the reason my interest for this exists: I have a laptop (and a one-year-old) where OMSI2 more or less requires you to use the keyboard and mouse because of all the controls. I would love to play it more but hauling the laptop out from its hiding place is a bit of a production, vs ATS that I can just fire it up and play on my TV with HDMI and my Xbox pad.

The same thing keeps me from playing Diesel Railcar as much. For all DTG's faults, I could at least use my pad to play TS2020 for that brief period when the Wales and Marches route came out before I fell asleep again.