Thread: Amtrak #3 Southwest Chief, Sept. 1995 on MSTS??

Default Amtrak #3 Southwest Chief, Sept. 1995 on MSTS??

I've developed an activity for Amtrak's Southwest Chief in Sept 1995. The activity was developed using TSRE5 and tested on Openrails. however I don't have a running copy of MSTS on my systems anymore. I'd appreciate if someone who has MSTS could let me know if there are issues with the activity on MSTS.

The first segment is complete and available in the File Library.

It's September 1995, about two weeks before the merger of BN and ATSF. "Take Amtrak Train #3 from Chicago's Union Station across Chillicothe Sub to Ft. Madison, IA. There is a lot of traffic on the Chillicothe Sub tonight. There is a Metra Commuter train departing 2 minutes before your scheduled departure, so be aware. While the traffic should not hinder your progress across the sub tonight because its double main line across the sub, there is a track gang working near the station in Chillicothe on the South Main track (typically the Eastbound main). This is causing a single track area for 3 miles basically centered on the station at Chillicothe. If you can maintain schedule on the #3 you will only have to wait for one or two Eastbounds to clear before proceeding. (If you are near on time, a call to the dispatcher may let you slip in between the first and second train, if not you will probably have to wait for the first two to clear before getting a green). The weather should be clear on this Autumn night as you take the Southwest Chief across the Chillicothe"

amtrak_3_atsfch_1995.zip

The second segment should be uploaded late this week.

This is the second segment of the 1995 Westbound Southwest Chief. After arriving in Ft Madison, IA about 70 minutes behind schedule you will continue your journey to Los Angeles on the Marceline Sub. You'll be following a mixed manifest out of Ft Madison, however the dispatcher has informed you that he will route the freight over the south main and allow you to make a running pass before you get to your first station stop at La Plata, MO. So you'll have to keep to the speed limit. After La Plata, you'll continue west and IF you've passed the freight, he'll follow you all the way to KC. There's lots of traffic on the Marceline Sub tonight, including two Norfolk Southern freights you'll meet over a small section of joint trackage west of the Marceline station stop. There is one small section of single track that you'll have to contend with about 30 miles east of KC. The weather is clear, and the objective is to see if you can make up time on the schedule.

I have to place a few static consists, and run a couple of more tests.

Coming Soon.

thsnks

Amtrak115 OUT

Sounds Great! While I have abandoned MSTS for running while still using it for Activity creation{YES,I KNOW!!!!}I do believe that if the Activity is "heavy" with AI and static consists,it probably will present problems running in MSTS for most users. Having said that, Bob Wirth purposely kept the scenery levels low so that it would be possible to run in MSTS a bit better. I think it depends on how much AI traffic you put in as well as the length of those consists and the amount of the static consists. I actually several years back created a series of Activities from Chicago-Dearborn to Los Angeles and back using the same consist but running it over the Transcon the whole way. Due to various reasons I decided to fictionalize everything that I have in order to create a mega-railroad. Actually,I cant wait to download your work to give it a try. I,and I am sure most people appreciate the time and work it requires to put in a quality product. It can be hard and frustrating[Boy,do I know that!} and sometimes not enough thanks is given for it. Thank You for your contribution. Brian

Thanks! I was wondering when somebody would conjure up an Amtrak detour. Will need to do the non-streamlines version, so I'm steeling myself for a couple weeks' of downloading; I have a lot of those files already, but nowhere near all of them. Then some (re-)modeling to get everything right. Presumably once this is done things will work right in ORTS (sometimes a real problem with older stock).

I know there appears to be a lot of downloads. I attempted to keep everything "time period" and Santa Fe rather than BNSF. I've used /tested both the Streamlines consist as well as the non-streamline consists. I even added a .wag file that adds end of train marker lights on the last Coach. Everything was done with TSRE5 with respect to the activity. I used it to learn how to use the activity editor portion of TSRE, so it was a productive exercise.

I've not disappeared....the second segment is coming.... I got distracted by my other hobby. I run a Light and music animated display in front of my house for Halloween and Christmas. As with everything else in 2020, I had issues getting the display up and running. Last night was the start of the display finally. so the second segment should be coming soon. Currently thinking how in the third segment I'm going to simulate a fuel stop in Argentine Yard..........hmmmmmm