Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails Website error 404

Default Open Rails Website error 404

Guys,

I went to download Open Rails for MS Train Simulator, however, in doing so, I got an error 404. Are they no longer in existence? Possible new website? Any info would be helpful? Thanks!

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
    I believe that site is on the same server as UKTrainsim.com which is being upgraded - it might be a while before it's back up!

Cheers,
    Ged

Hey Ged,

Okay, thanks for the information. I had stumbled across an Open Rails related forum and was able to locate what I needed. Appreciate your time.

Cheers,

Jerry

If you don't want to wait, consider downloading from Jim Ross' site (all the unstable and many of the weeklies). Install would consist of simply extracting the zip to whatever directory (outside of Program Files, please!) you want it in, then making a shortcut to the menu.exe file and moving the shortcut to your desktop. Once it's there, you *should* be able to pin it to your Start menu. If you can't, post back and one of us can dig through the config directories in Windows to find where the start menu and program list reside.

Plan B (perhaps better) would be to install the MG version. It has a number of improvements over the standard version of OR. But I don't remember the link right now.

For the Jim Ross stuff, if you don't want the most bleeding edge build, try: https://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or...2020-28-15.zip. Then, once you open it (in the menu) you can set up where the routes and such are, and it'll probably give you an update message in the corner. I'm not sure where that message takes you - if it's to Jim Ross, great, click on it and get the latest Testing version (that's the weeklies) after choosing that option in the options menu. If it goes to the OR web site, DON'T click on it - the updater will run until it times out and leave you with a possibly damaged installation. Fixing it is as easy as copying the files again (and re-setting up your options).

My 2 cents: They need to find a new Service Provider. This seems like a pretty irresponsible/unprofessional way to perform an upgrade.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your input. I did download OR off Jim Ross' site, It's better than just sitting still lol. As for the other, when you said MG you meant Monogames right?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    My 2 cents: They need to find a new Service Provider. This seems like a pretty irresponsible/unprofessional way to perform an upgrade.
    100% agree with you. It's been down for some time at this point, and people are already thinking the project is dead. As someone who maintains quite a few websites, I have it set up so the page doesn't go down when I'm working on it.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

This is very worrying and concerning. I hope that page comes up soon. And we hear from the owner about what is happening.

This disheartening for sure. One of the Reliable Sites and now nothing........ I hope things are corrected soon, it could spell disaster for those wanting to convert and cannot.
    Is that other site, James Ross' readily accessible?

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    100% agree with you. It's been down for some time at this point, and people are already thinking the project is dead. As someone who maintains quite a few websites, I have it set up so the page doesn't go down when I'm working on it.
    "people" should remember that we are in difficult times and that OR is free and "amateur" IE not paid work.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)