Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A potential Blow to many folk.... Wrapped Up in a Sale

Quote Originally Posted by USASpiritlineTrains View Post
    In that case, should this thread even EXIST?
    Because if we're not careful SLI might do EXACTLY as you predict.

EDIT 1:
    Now that SLI has decided to discontinue products that are only available in some places, they've WRECKED their reputation.
    I think this is a very poor statement to make the company has not done anything wrong and has NOT trashed itself. They are doing what any company would do removing items that while are still good to others are not up to the standards they want And that is acceptable.

I don't think SLI/TS is going to hand out old models. the ones Danny Beck came with a reason why he did in the first place.

I would hope that they would keep the older content just there for people who want to still purchase it.

Geez people, why not just take it for what it is: a great opportunity to pick up sets on the cheap.
    -Mike

Well, I do have most of the SLI sets not sure why others are stilling on the fence.

TeapotTempestLarge.jpg

...but I'll jump in anyway...
    First, and most importantly...THANKS to the payware folks who make the models and members here who have the talent to use their time to repaint and make models for the rest of us bums --- ( an asexual - or binary term?? -- can't keep up with the current gender correct terminology ) --- who enjoy this hobby.

Second...imo ( small caps appropriate IMO ): the folks at TrainSimulations are entirely within their right to move on.
    They see the future promise of Open Rails --- just take a look at the Mullan --- and in five or ten years that will start to look like "old stuff" if the plans for future Open Rails improvements occur. ( graphics capabilities, sim engine, and new file types for OR )

They also probably hope to make some money --- ( they ain't going to get rich...just ask them! ) --- energize their own creative spirits, and add something new to the hobby. Entirely their choice to do so...market place will either support them or not.

Who knows, they may even keep offering their MORE THAN GENEROUS & KIND repaint policy... or for a nominal fee license out repaint privileges to those that meet certain standards. ( that may bring some commentally howls (commentally --- is that even a word???).

Whatever...all good here...GO for it Train Simulations...ignore the howling in the teapots.

that's my one_cent_worth.jpgworth...and probably not worth that much!
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks for the heads up and thanks to the crew at Streamlines to offer this generous discount. Just bought some sets. Not so much because I needed them, but because it allows me to make future use the various available repaints like the nice ones of MsSheare. Sometime in the future... If real life stuff doesn't interfere...

Wim

I just picked up a couple sets I'd been on the fence over during previous sales, and can't complain about the price.

For those complaining, perhaps it's time to stop using your rotary dial phone and 1200 baud modems. We survived moving from leaded gas to unleaded, from touch tone phones to mobiles, from flip phones to smartphones.

This too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I just picked up a couple sets I'd been on the fence over during previous sales, and can't complain about the price.

For those complaining, perhaps it's time to stop using your rotary dial phone and 1200 baud modems. We survived moving from leaded gas to unleaded, from touch tone phones to mobiles, from flip phones to smartphones.

This too shall pass.
    Well I'm glad that everyone (as usual ) has been "triggered" by the mere mention of SLI/Trainsimulations and I trust you're all having a whale of a time fuelling an argument that my ORIGINAL POST NEVER PUT FORWARD!

I'll make it simple and as the only people who can answer this are Trainsimulations perhaps the post ought to be locked.

MY POINT WAS....

IF Trainsimulations are no longer going to make available or support CERTAIN models in their library, either by rearranging packs OR because they consider them not good enough to upgrade to OPEN rails they might at least upload these DISCARDED MODELS as freeware?

NO MORE NO LESS.

This can only be regarded as a goodwill gesture to their customers and those who promoted their products with freeware re-skins.

I fail to understand by what logic this can harm their business model because SURELY newer models will be better? They have made at least 3 significant improvements in their models details already and logic would suggest that only the older models would be discarded?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    .... because they consider them not good enough to upgrade to OPEN rails they might at least upload these DISCARDED MODELS as freeware?

Everyone got your point the last time you said it. And the answer still is no.

New users need to have only one path upon entry to the hobby - to procure the newer models only. If we want a library full of reskins, people had better get busy reskinning newer models and not Beck models.

Like Eolesen and Brama, i bought some of their products. And for the same reasons both mentionned.

I bought BNSF Scenic and ATSF Seligman routes but not the BNSF Seligman, not sure exactly why but the last one did not seem interesting in the offer of the included cars. Maybe i am wrong....

As for going freeware, I would love that, so that i could eventually use older cars and engines (original and reskinned/repainted in the F/L alike) in my older routes...but i am not the owner of SLI/TS or others....but i do think it is in some sort a blow to the kind peoples that do such a "great job" in providing new colors and numbers. I consider their contribution to be as important in the evolution of this hobby as those who provide new products. That is my 0.01$ for today

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Everyone got your point the last time you said it. And the answer still is no.

New users need to have only one path upon entry to the hobby - to procure the newer models only. If we want a library full of reskins, people had better get busy reskinning newer models and not Beck models.
    my emphasis --- Hear-hear.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.