Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New win 10 machine I said I would never buy...

Default New win 10 machine I said I would never buy...

Needed a new laptop.
    The only ORTS compatible OS is WIN10.
    I don't want to install MSTS, just ORTS, (Which means I don't want route-riter)e

Problem: Aceit, a tool I need for content creation, doesn't work. (Unable to create d3d device) Installing DirectX legacy support doesn't help.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I have the stand alone version of AceIt on three Windows 10 64 bit computers. They all work fine.
    Does it require Java? I'm not sure. If it does I just use the default for the OS, 64 bit.

Randy

>The only ORTS compatible OS is WIN10

I am not sure why you would say this, as its not true.
    OR runs fine on win7
    Cheers
    Derek

Oh, I'm completely functional on my gaming desktop running Windows 7 64. A new laptop's only option is replacing default OS with Linux or keeping Windows 10 HOME and as far as I know, there is no desire to make anything ORTS or MSTS-related run with Linux. I'd have to buy a new WIN7 license to downgrade my laptop's Win10, which as far as I know is not really possible nowadays unless I start looking at shady dealers.

Under Microsoft's arcane licensing rules, you can legitimately purchase *OEM* copies of Windows 7 (any edition). However, the license agreement with those copies explicitly prohibits you from using that software on a PC you build or refurbish for your own personal use. No other copies being sold are any kind of official/genuine at this point

I recently took my annual beach vacation (aka, sitting in the time-share condo using my 10 year old laptop) and realized my portable device wasn't cutting it for 3D content creation or ORTS testing. 10 years is eons in tech years as we all know.

As you might imagine... I don't want to do a full MSTS installation on this new machine.
    Last edited by pwillard; 10-05-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    Under Microsoft's arcane licensing rules, you can legitimately purchase *OEM* copies of Windows 7 (any edition). However, the license agreement with those copies explicitly prohibits you from using that software on a PC you build or refurbish for your own personal use.
    HAH!...that's not enforceable and probably someone's misreading of the legal boilerplate...what is your source for that information?

It probably applies to commercial builders...you cannot operate a business building computers and use the WIN7 OS...you have to purchase the new OS - 10. How is microsoft going to know if "Regular Joe" purchased all the components for a desktop, built it in his garage and installed WIN7 on it? Come on Pete...that's tinfoil hat stuff.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

AceIt with TGATool2 is working fine on my desktop. I'll have to study some of the configuration details on my machine. I also successfully run a variety of retro games on the system also.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

It might be video card related, tbh. I did all the required directX stuff. The video card is Nvidia RTX2060.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I'm sure it's not the video card. I tried installing it on a PC which I haven't worked with, and got the same error, which has a older video card than what your laptop has.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Screw it. Its DDS-only from now on, I guess.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Default Maybe give this a try?

Can you not load up WinXP in a virtual machine inside your Win10 installation? Also can you run AceIt with different modes, right click and run as WinXP SP2/3?

I do not have/run Win10 and that is not likely to change anytime soon. When the day comes that Open Rails abandons Win7 I will have some serious thinking to do. IMO Win10 is not worth running until it can be locked down and upgrades are strictly/permanently under user control, by whatever means. I use different devices to access the internet, even as I write this response. A recent purchase of a laptop last year with Win10 pre-installed is never run as a Win10 machine, nor do I run Open Rails on it.

Sorry for your pain. On a personal note, as far as development is concerned I wish we could view textured models in .tga/.bmp form in Open Rails, at least for testing. Yeah, you can see what you are doing in Blender or 3d Canvas/Crafter. Doing stuff in DDS results in bitmaps that are degraded with each compression. But I guess you might already know that.

Steve