Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1960's/70's tank cars

Default 1960's/70's tank cars

Some more info about the tank cars I've just put in the file library and a larger photo than the thumbnail you get looking at the file listing. Info below.

Thanks to Geoff Brown for the composite shot of the entire fleet in this release.

The set is inspired by cars found on the CNJ chemical coast line but should have wide utility beyond.

This set fills a gap in the existing offerings to supply cars that were widespread in the sixties and seventies.

Note the slight variation in end ladders on cars built by GATX vs. ACF

These cars reflect an evolution of the standard single dome tank car.
    Beginning in the late thirties and becoming standard around 1952 was a safety platform around the dome.
    Becoming standard around 1948 was a welded instead of riveted tank.
    Some of these cars (T104) were insulated; some (T103) were not.
    Beginning in the early sixties a series of innovations marked the next generation of modern tank cars:
    frameless design, roller bearing trucks, the end of the dome and much larger capacity tanks 2 or 3 times bigger.
    These tank cars are something of a transition between the steam era and the modern designs.
    In the sixties and seventies they represented the majority of tank cars used in many locations.
    According to railfan memories, in that era about half the cars were plain reporting marks only lessors,
    but there was tremendous local variation in that balance as certain plants had their own marked fleets.
    They lasted into the nineties, though most of the "billboard" paint schemes did not make it until the end.

This is a high poly (~6860), high detail model by Paul Charland in TS Modeler.
    Models features Tim Muir couplers and air hoses along with wheel and spring textures.
    Special thanks to Paul for making the GATX modification special for this set.

Thanks to Geoff Brown for testing and creating some additional texture modifications, also for the shapeviewer shot showing all 16 cars. Inspiration for this set from Mark Polumba and Geoff Brown.

These cars hauled many commodities, but this set focuses on especially the chemical industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Chris, Paul, Geoff, et al. I'm putting these to work immediately.

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

Thankyou for this beautiful team effort. Fine quality.

Fred

Sure wish that DODX tank car was in this package. Great work by the way.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Thanks, all. Glad they are useful.

Johnny: there are a fair number of 1960's-70's privately owned covered hoppers already in the file library, while the only thing like these was the original model Paul made and included with two of his car sets. However, that said, I did just last night create a DUPX (Dupont) 1970 vintage covered hopper which will appear in due course. I respond well to encouragement, so I'll consider more covered hoppers of that vintage.

Steve, the DODX tank cars are certainly on my list. Taking your wish into consideration, I'll bump that higher up the priority list. (Or someone else could get there before me because I don't really work very fast).

Christopher

Thanks Chris. I've started calling it the ever elusive tank car. Saw hundreds of them growing up, as I lived near a military fuel depot on the coast of NC where JP-5 came in on tanker ships and loaded tank cars carried the fuel to the nearby bases at Camp Lejeune MC, Cherry Point MCAS, Seymour Johnson AFB, Pope AFB, and Fort Bragg USA, NC. I've got pictures if you need them.

Here's a couple of photos. I think I can get more if needed.

DODX Tank 2.jpg DODX Tank 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Some more info about the tank cars I've just put in the file library and a larger photo than the thumbnail you get looking at the file listing. Info below.

These cars hauled many commodities, but this set focuses on especially the chemical industry.
    great job
    I also really like the rolling stock of this time.
    Chimbica Dash8

8C6FA4F5-1610-45BC-88A0-845B5EE0A3C3.jpg36C49B83-45F7-4B04-B177-FF19D10AE108.jpgDD5B3EA6-631B-4C52-A662-34DD5163201C.jpg58168904-44EF-4EA0-A7F5-32B4CC8ABF3C.jpg

These cars I handled from my old job where I worked..Mostly corn syrup and citric acid... lots of memories way back in the mid 80s...
    Dave Edwards

Nice collection of photos, Dave...have you modeled any of them?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.