Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msts bin

Default Msts bin

Hi to 'ALL',

I have come back to MSTS, found the 'DISKS' eventually after a move, and a long break owing to work committments.
    Anyway to the point ( as they say ) ...

Install went well, loaded XTRACKS,NEWROADS,etc, however now have an issue with MSTS BIN ... where do I get it from?

Went onto the website for it ... ' Error 404, page not found'; tried another site - got exactly the same error. Infact have been on far too many sites that say they have it only to find they all point to the same site.

So, is there any user/member who may be able to point me in the right direction to anable me to obtain MSTS BIN.

Thanks in advance for any reply ...

Welcome back! Can't help with the bin query but if you run MSTS thru Open Rails then I believe that the bin patch isn't necessary.
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

The site that hosts it went through some hardware failure issues recently and probably is not yet fully restored.

This is not what you asked for specifically, but I will just leave this other link right here for when technical defeat sets in.

http://www.openrails.org/discover/open-rails/

I can only reiterate what the other members have posted...try OR...you will still be able to use all the legacy MSTS equipment and routes, plus the newer stuff made for OR ( will not run in MSTS ). If you plan on installing some of the older MSTS routes, you will need to install the MSTS disks just to have the default routes --- they are needed for the route batch files to copy from.

Instructions for installing MSTS in WIN7 and WIN10 can be found at the Steam4Me site and here. Important thing is not to install MSTS in any of the windows protected folders. Something like "C:\TrainSim" or anything that makes sense to you.

As said previously you do not need BIN for OR, the program is entirely separate from MSTS, no dependency whatsoever ( except for the exception about route batch files mentioned above -- required for copying default MSTS shapes and associated files).

There's a free OpenRails starter route with activities and equipment >>> https://www.trainsimulations.net/ORTS_starter_pack.html

This will install OR and everything you need to begin, make sure to read the first chapters in the OR manual to acquaint yourself with OR and it's basic folder/file structure and operations. You won't regret the time spent to learn the software. Enjoy yourself and welcome aboard.

Note: Open Rails in currently in active development, there are a few branches of the open source software, the basic stable version which is included in the starter route, the Unstable version ( weekly or daily releases ) and the Monogame Version ( version OR will be switching to in the future ).
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

If you really need it, I have placed a temporary mirror download up on my website until the issues with UK TrainSim are resolved.

http://railsimstuff.com/tools.html
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

You have MSTS installed, even without BIN, that's great! Where is it installed? I hope it's not in any of the Programs (86) folders, that always causes problems.
    Now you can load up all of the old MSTS utilities like RouteRiter TgaTools2, Aceit and several others that I can't remember right now. They require MSTS entrys in the registry. Don't forget Java for RouteRiter if you want it. Just use the default Java download for your OS. RouteRiter has all of the other instructions.
    Again, keep MSTS and any of the MSTS specific utilities/editors out of any folder named Program.
    If you want to run any older routes the installme.bats will work. There are a few of the older routes I like to run, and work on.
    If you want to run MSTS or any of the tools, why?
    As stated above, Open Rails is the way to go, I prefer the MonoGame version with reshade.
    Editors? You'll want TSRE5. Once you get in it and start playing around you'll know why.

Welcome Back.
    Randy

Hi, and a big thanks to everyone who replied.

Yep, took a long time for the ' Install ' - running on a 'Laptop'. ( not ideal by any means but my son has the PC with all the 'gizzmos', and I am too idle to get into the loft to get my 'PCs' down ).

Anyway, have taken onboard everything that you have all said, and don't think I'll bother with the BIN.

A little bit about myself though and maybe you can draw your own conclusions.

I'm a retired Snr. Analyst/Programmer ( Mainframes not Windows/Linux ), and ALL my computers, Laptop and PCs, run XP Pro sp3. Doing the job I did meant I told the computer what to do - not the other way round. For some reason anything past XP seems to have Bill Gates trying to 'interfere' with what I want to do. As the old saying goes 'To err is human but to really foul things up takes a computer'. Anyway, enough said about me --- this is about TRAINS.

I lived in the 'wilds of Norfolk' for 35yrs, so got used to 'Steam'n'Fields/Windmills/Traction Engines' --- "ye naw wha I min ba"; Bressingham Steam Museum was 10min from where I lived. However I got into Diesels'n'Steam from Snow Hill Station, as was, in Birmingham. So a bit of a change in life 'one extreme to the other'.

Unfortunately I installed into the dreaded 'program' folder, but am now in the process of uninstall/reinstall; have got all the other bits on a USB Stick. Also have McAfee, so I can clear the Registry, any other odd bits lying around I can remove with the old 'Regedit Commands/Editor'; then use DOS to clear the 'straglers'.

So folks, once again, a great many thanks to you all for the quick replies, seems 'us' Train Folk are always willing to help others in need.

Hi Renjie,
    Welcome
    You say you won't bother with the Bin patch, but if you intend to run MSTS you will almost certainly need to have it installed because a very large quantity of models created over the last 15 years use the enhanced lights system. Those models will not run in default MSTS, resulting in error messages.
    If you've followed the Steam4Me tutorial for installing MSTS into Win 7, 8 and 10 (https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...g_msts_w7.html ) you should have already installed the v1.4 upgrade. Without it, MSTS Bin will not install.

Cheers,
    Ged

XP Pro huh. You can ignore most of what I told you.
    MSTS can reside in the programs folder. Win 7 and newer, no.
    Open Rails has a version that works with XP but it lacks some of the bells and whistles of the MonoGame version.
    I don't know if TSRE will work on XP. There is a 32 bit version but I'm not sure if it'll work. Anybody had luck with this?
    It's probably not safe to connect a computer with XP to the internet but your credentials say you already know that.
    I don't even remember what XP looks like.

Good luck
    Randy

Eventually OR will move away from XP, drop it entirely, as it cannot support the Monogame version. So that's something to consider going forward.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.