Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Msts bin

HI All,

Again thanks for the replies.

OK ... XP Pro sp3 ... never had any issues with it myself.

I did say what my job was, so I had 'access' to software a lot of users won't/don't. My machine is so 'locked down' even software designed for XP sometimes WILL NOT install; I have to adjust a few setting - do the install - then reset the settings. For me everything works 'tickety-boo'; but then I suppose I know how to use 'this' particular setup.

Moving on ... YEP done the v1.4 update, still thinking about the BIN file. I hear what everyone is saying, maybe I should install/upgrade/etc but at my age i) I can't be bothered ii) I'm happy with what I can have/get iii) Why try to fix when it 'aint broke iv) Life is too short.

I will say, the change from 'standard install' to 'custom install' went well other than I'll now have more work to do with stuff like 'Round House,etc' if I decide to install 'em. No big issues tho', do a 'temp DIR install' then move/copy/regedit/etc and all goes well.

I'll sleep on the BIN issue, maybe tomorrow will have different thoughts.

I have noticed something, not BIG/PROFOUND, but something. There doesn't seem to be a 'standard' for download files. Some are 'ZIP' while others are 'RAR'. Some 'Self Extract' others 'DIY'. PLEASE EVERYONE, I'm not here to complain or moan, simply passing a comment - comes from my 'working' days when we all had to use the 'Standard Naming Concept' ( DOS was an example i.e. 8.3 ). Simply means I had to re-install WINRAR, I'd removed it long ago as I thought everyone now used ZIP.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and help once again, I know I'm in good solid company on this site. Time for a 'cuppa ...

Quote Originally Posted by Renjie View Post
    ....I have noticed something, not BIG/PROFOUND, but something. There doesn't seem to be a 'standard' for download files. Some are 'ZIP' while others are 'RAR'. Some 'Self Extract' others 'DIY'. PLEASE EVERYONE, I'm not here to complain or moan, simply passing a comment - comes from my 'working' days when we all had to use the 'Standard Naming Concept' ( DOS was an example i.e. 8.3 ). Simply means I had to re-install WINRAR, I'd removed it long ago as I thought everyone now used ZIP. ...
    You should accustom yourself to the lack of standardization...this is a hobby, with a wide range of skill sets among the participants...finding and correcting mistakes, diagnosing problems and finding solutions is part of the hobby.

You'll need to put together a "tool kit" no matter which simulator you choose -- Open Rails ( obvious to me the best choice going forward ) or MSTS -- program developed 20 years ago and was never really finished or bug free, thus the necessity for MSTS-Bin.

Suggested "tool-kit" ( others will have their suggestions -- there are plenty of good options here. )
    1. Editors
    ConText and/or Notepad++ --- other good ones that people use EditRocket and TextCrawler Pro

2. Activity Troubleshooting and Trainset Troubleshooting -- diagnosing problems
    MSTS Act Manager ( found here in the file library )
    MSTS Check ( found ditto above )
    MSTS APK Extractor utility to extract activities from "apk" files ( ditto above )

3. Consist Utilities
    ConBuilder -- version available in library ( payware version no longer offered )
    TSRE Consist Editor --- avalaible here >>> http://koniec.org/tsre5/
    A combination Consist editor -- Route Creation Tool -- and Activity creator --- still a work in progress...

4. All around utility program for MSTS >>> RouteRiter

5. Steam4Me website --- good resource for all problems MSTS...some application to OR... https://msts.steam4me.net/index.html# Steam4ME has links to many train sim utility programs.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Shapeviewer, available here.
    TGATool2a is here too. It's a separate install from RouteRiter which has an earlier version. Oh, and, don't use the RouteRiter from digital rails. Does any body have the link for Mike Simpson's version? I'm using v7.6.26.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    Does any body have the link for Mike Simpson's version?

His final version is here in the library - rr7626fu.zip

Cheers,
    Ged

Well folks, Have taken in everything you guys/gals have said so MSTS BIN is installed ... easy. RR - 7626fu - installed and associated progs; all working well so far. MSTS Act Manager, Check, APK Extractor, installed - not used yet as RR seems to be do-it-all that I may ever need ( at the moment ).

You guys/gals really know your stuff on here. To me MSTS was it, yes it had issues, but as you have said -for 20yrs ago it possible was pretty good; graphics so-so, but it did what it was meant to. Now I know differently, the work youguys/gals do is superb.

I do have a project in mind however I for one am stuck as to where to get the info from. That doesn't mean I haven't tried, but the obvious place to try was unable/unwilling to help.

Before Birmingham built 'New Street station' there was 'Snow Hill Station'. I would love to try and recreate it 'in someway', not exact but 'near enough' for my and maybe others pleasure. Have asked at New Street if they have any info to help ... ' ... er, that was before my time ... er, the people who would know have either left or died ... er, maybe in the Station Archives but I wouldn't know who to ask ... ' etc.

Is there a web site that has 'old' Station plans?

Time for a cuppa and meds, thanks for everything all users

Have managed to get hold of some 'early' Snow Hill plans ... I think one is from 1913. The thing I have noticed is the turntable stuck ' way behind ' any of the passenger routes within, or within access too, the passengers, or goods vehicles come to that. I know that is an odd statement, however goods delivery drivers were allowed acces to the goods lines and the turntable is behind a wall at the back of them.
    One line in, one line out ... purely to change engine direction.