Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HELP! ANOTHER Seagate Drive has let me down.

What I've seen, and experienced is: NEVER defrag a SSD. They simply don't need it, and the defrag process, EVEN ONCE, significantly reduces the life of the SSD (which is usually specified in TB written - reading is not a problem). Windows 10's optimize function, when it recognizes a SSD, simply invokes the SSD's TRIM function which makes erased space immediately available for writing new data rather than waiting for a garbage collection cycle to be triggered.

As for hard disks, I can't admit to having a Seagate drive die on me while in service, but I have had one get very noisy - so I replaced it on general principles. Though nothing is as noisy as an old Conner, like a fire truck siren. I've used all WD in recent years, and have replaced them mainly because I wanted an upgrade, not because they died. Of course, I'm using them in a single PC, not NAS or some other use that hammers the disks hard.

Edit: you do need to beware of recent lower-priced hard disks from both WD and Seagate. They've switched to shingled magnetic recording, which compared to conventional methods is far denser, but can be disastrously slower at writing than a conventional (CMR) hard disk. Essentially, it works like a SSD in terms of recording large blocks after staging in an on-disk (or small RAM) cache, and hides its poor write performance behind that cache. However, writing a large sequential file that exceeds the cache size, or hammering it with a ton of small files (which slows down any disk, but especially so for SMR disks), can extend write completion times into many minutes or even hours. Despite some of these being first offered in the WD "Red" line, allegedly for NAS use, they are not suitable for any kind of general file-server use. If you can afford the write time, their read performance is pretty much normal for their spindle speed, so for bulk media storage, for instance, they can make sense (write once, read many). Seagate is moving to SMR for lower-priced disks, too, but unlike WD they actually mention in the specs and on the package that they're using it. For any predictable HD speed, you need CMR.

Here's an interesting review of hard disk reliability, from Backblaze. Caveats: their use pattern probably is not the same as ANYBODY else's. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q3-2020/
    Last edited by mikeebb; 10-24-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: SMR vs CMR

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Here's an interesting review of hard disk reliability, from Backblaze. Caveats: their use pattern probably is not the same as ANYBODY else's. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q3-2020/
    For a start I'd draw folks attention to the SIZE of the disks in this report! As I pointed out in earlier posts "I just don't get" the advantage of these Massive drives?

"Don't keep all your eggs in one basket"?

Probably the largest files the average home user is likely to want to store are Video files and Picture files? Even then we're back to "eggs in one basket".....

When it comes to Video and Picture storage you don't need "cutting edge" speeds and external disks have the advantage of being portable?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Backblaze are using 150,974 drives to store customer data.

It should be obvious to you why disk size is important?
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Backblaze are using 150,974 drives to store customer data.

It should be obvious to you why disk size is important?
    Mr Morton you seem to be "triggered" by anything I post at the moment?

Perhaps if you read my posts you could explain to the other posters here why Backblazes requirements are in any way similar to most of ours?

I doubt many users here have ANY drives as large as some of theirs that have failed and as Mike pointed out in the section of his post I QUOTED a specific usage.

BTW feel free to get as many eggs into as big a basket as you can find..... and when the basket breaks I'll feel free to say "I told you so..."
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Its better I don't say any more.
    Last edited by derekmorton; 10-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Its better I don't say any more.
    Ah, if only my ex-wife had thought like that..... :/
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

SSD prices have certainly come down but bad reviews about failures and mythology about their performance hasn't helped them. As for your 7 yr old Alienware I'm slightly staggered at how old my "NEW" box actually is.... ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    I bit the bullet and got a Samsung 1Tb SSD yesterday. Cloned my 750Gb drive overnight and installed it a couple hours ago.

Amazing how fast it fired up. I had a three minute load for ORTS that is now 20 seconds. Guess there's not much of an excuse to not use it now.....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

FYI: I managed to get the partition recovery tool on-sale.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts