Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! ANOTHER Seagate Drive has let me down.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HELP! ANOTHER Seagate Drive has let me down.

ANOTHER Seagate Drive has let me down.

They come out top in all the reviews, top spec, great performance etc. etc. ......BUT what you need in an HDD is reliability.

The previous meltdown was a few years back now but I lost a lot of stuff. Turns out that the specific model disc had obviously had a faulty batch issue because when it happened a quick Google threw up scores of threads and some piss poor responses from Seagate.

So obviously I learned from the disaster and immediately set up some discs to duplicate saves of important stuff so that I'd be in with a chance if it EVER happened again.

Last machine I bought is now pretty old but I used it purely as a box for my Simulators (it was a build specifically for FS...) although ironically I never got round to installing that because REAL life curtailed my hobby time. So my faithful Win 7 box laboured on and thankfully still hasn't let me down.

The one thing I decided quite early on was to keep everything other than that which was essential to the OS on separate physical drives. Logic being if C drive melts down you merely need to reinstall the OS on a new disc and everything else is safe on seperate drives? When SSD's came down in price I invested in some of those and put a vast majority of my Sim stuff on those. That meant the 2Tb Seagate HDD that shipped with the newer box was only used for documents, downloads, pictures and music ...plus of course the miscellaneous stuff we all pick up. It was nowhere near full and in fact had a vast amount of unused space.

When the Win 7 support ended I used the newest box to upgrade to Win 10. A painless process and it's been working fine ever since .......until this morning when the disc disappeared. A quick check in Disk management and there is was with no letter allocated BUT with no option to re-allocate one. The only option to re-initialize (re format) the disc.

Now a quick Google came up with some free utilities to "get your files back" but Seagate's site referred to disc recovery software but this wasn't obvious in their utilities downloads and the only option seemed to be to phone a help line?

So:-

Has anyone used Seagate's disc recovery software?
    How did you get it?
    Was it free?
    Did it work?

and/or

Has anyone any recommendations for disc recovery software that they know has worked?

I tried one years back when the previous drive failed and it actually got data from the disc but it was so fragmented it was unusable

Any help appreciated.

PS in the meantime I've ordered an SSD to replace the failed drive and a further external SSD to "back-up" that which I've already backed up. "It ain't backed up unless its in at least three different drives"

Thanks in advance
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Remember that win 10 has a 'feature' to offload seldom used files to the cloud that one needs to be vigilant of.

The only time I ever lost drives (2 in relatively quick order, both showing burn marks on PCB board), was due to a flaking power supply with a voltage regulation problem. PSU replaced and problem stopped.

They also have trial software. You can use the software to see if it can find any data. Then you can look at thumbs of the data before you buy it so you can restore it.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

I used the Seagate tools ages ago, and had moderate success, but still lost some data.

Never trust a drive beyond three years. All drives will eventually fail, even solid states. Always back up in two different places -- I use portables as well as paid online backup with Dropbox.

Which reminds me, it's time to proactively replace the one in my seven year old Alienware... Going with SSD this time around, but stuck with a mechanical drive last time because of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I used the Seagate tools ages ago, and had moderate success, but still lost some data.
    Thanks for the feedback Eric.

I'm not holding my breath for total success and most stuff is already backed up. Trouble is it took me most of yesterday to back-up the back-up!!! As you say below in at LEAST two places and that's to 3 if you include the original drive. The BIG frustration is remembering all the odds and sods you downloaded and installed so even a view of the contents would be useful even if the files themselves are corrupted or inaccessible.

I guess some regular screenshots of file manager would be an additional insurance. At least I wouldn't be fretting that I'd lost irreplaceable stuff

There was a great little utility that worked on older OS's that allowed you to view ALL folders and their relative sizes. It opened up to shown all subfolders and sizes too. I seem to remember there was a newer version that worked with newer OS's called "Everything"?

At least with these images you could see what was not backed up and if that was re-downloadable you can just reformat the drive and re-install stuff. It's a toss up as to what is quicker? Rescue the old stuff or start again with back-up and reinstalling stuff?

Never trust a drive beyond three years. All drives will eventually fail, even solid states. Always back up in two different places -- I use portables as well as paid online backup with Dropbox.
    Online is a good point and something I haven't used despite having free storage from a number of sources including my ISP. Trouble is you can end up doing more work for your PC than your PC does for you ?!

Which reminds me, it's time to proactively replace the one in my seven year old Alienware... Going with SSD this time around, but stuck with a mechanical drive last time because of cost.
    SSD prices have certainly come down but bad reviews about failures and mythology about their performance hasn't helped them. As for your 7 yr old Alienware I'm slightly staggered at how old my "NEW" box actually is.... ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    Geoff
    UK

....so hours of wasted time later I finally (having had to purchase another smaller USB stick and a SATA USB ssd Connector cable - the latter in the STUPID idea that I might save files from the old disk ) I download some software from Seagate to test the drive. The "Tools" software told me there was a problem with the Seagate Drive .......seeth....... "No shit Sherlock!" ....funnily enough I knew that. So it then tells me to download a bootable file that contains the tools as well but the idea being the PC BOOTS from the USB stick and allows the software to run tests and fixes (?) from the USB stick.

So what's the problem? Downloaded it several times and everytime I try to install it on the USB stick it says the installer is corrupted!

I never had much faith in this anyway as most of my previous attempts to save data from corrupted discs have not worked ....BUT I was determined to keep an open mind, a "positive" outlook, be patient, RTFM etc.etc.

Seems like I'd have saved a lot of time plugging in the new SSD and biting the bullet of collecting stuff I'd lost all over again.

One thing I have learnt, over years of working as a technician, is that when a job REALLY hacks you off..... Just walk away and do something else. ONLY go back to it when you've got past the wanting to hit it with a hammer stage!!! LOL!

Might try some other utilities first because a quick Google shows I'm not the first to have issues with this download. Sadly nothing I read so far had any explanation because folk either got it working or ...just couldn't get it to work.

So Seagate that's twice you've failed me. There ain't gonna be a third time
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

SSD prices have certainly come down but bad reviews about failures and mythology about their performance hasn't helped them. As for your 7 yr old Alienware I'm slightly staggered at how old my "NEW" box actually is.... ...if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    I bit the bullet and got a Samsung 1Tb SSD yesterday. Cloned my 750Gb drive overnight and installed it a couple hours ago.

Amazing how fast it fired up. I had a three minute load for ORTS that is now 20 seconds. Guess there's not much of an excuse to not use it now.....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Does the data in Computer Management say Raw Data , if so, it maybe recoverable, I just went through this also with 2 WD HDD's, got almost all back, with the same file structure, the MBR got corrupted.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

MBR is the 'old' disk format structure that generally comes with older BIOS and older OSes

GPT is the 'new' disk format structure that only comes with newer UEFI and newer OSes

Via a new machine purchase I went straight from XP/BIOS/NTFS on MBR to 8.1/UEFI/NTFS on GPT. I skipped Vista and Win7 and never was in a transitory position to do piecemeal upgrades of any one of those pieces. My 8.1 UEFI can read MBR drives in a crossover emergency, but it often triggers the 'dirty bit' setting for that drive so when that MBR drive is reattached to the XP box, it throws a need to run CHKDSK.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ANOTHER Seagate Drive has let me down.
    Has anyone used Seagate's disc recovery software?
    Yes.

How did you get it?
    https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/h...able-007843en/

Was it free?
    Sure is.

Did it work?
    50/50
    Had one disk with an electronic failure that was dead as a dodo (electronics run on smoke. I had no smoke left )
    The second one had a bad sector that corrupted one file allocation table. After repair I was able to rescue my files.

PS in the meantime I've ordered an SSD to replace the failed drive and a further external SSD to "back-up" that which I've already backed up. "It ain't backed up unless its in at least three different drives"
    Don't use an SSD for offline storage if it is not regularly used. It gets 'alzheimer' when it is not powered frequently.

I periodically back up files from my my SSD to my (Synology) NAS. In it are two HDD's in RAID 1 mode (mirrored) So if one fails, I can rebuild from the remaining HDD.