Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally retiring the old XP machine

Default Finally retiring the old XP machine

My recent video card downgrade has proved to be the last straw.
    So, I'm in the market for a new desktop, presumably a Windows 10 machine. My plan is to stick with MSTS, and venture into Open Rail.
    I'm not interested in other sims that I know of, and feel the MSTS/OR combination will satisfy all my sim needs.

I'm hoping that there are specs that will support both sims, and do it well. It seems obtaining the correct video card is imperative.
    It would be a great kindness to me if members whose machines do a good job handling both MSTS and OR would share their specs. My plan is to have a computer custom built......that is unless there are commercial models members have been happy with.

Thanks to all who respond.

AA

Nvidia Card with SSD drives -- boot and backup drives --- 1TB - 2TB Samsung, might as well get an Intel i7 cpu ( i9 if you like )-- 16G ram (it's cheap enough -- again more if you like ). I just upgraded my WIN7 desktop because the old nvidia card was having problems, traded up to a Nvidia 1070, there are certainly better ones -- this seems to be handling OR just fine.

You could have the OS put on a 1TB SSD and put all the OR stuff on a 2TB SSD. -- plus a backup.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    You could have the OS put on a 1TB SSD and put all the OR stuff on a 2TB SSD. -- plus a backup.
    Yes Gerry has this "minimum" spec just right. I say that because some manufacturers were trying to offload MUCH smaller SSD's as being "All that was necessary" for the OS. Don't be suckered into believing that. It's not JUST the OS that inevitably ends up on your C: Drive.

In view of my recent woes I cannot stress enough how important having a backup drive is too. In fact invest in some external drives to have a separate backup as well.

Once bitten twice shy..... I now keep only my OS and any programme that cannot be installed elsewhere on the C: drive. All data, programmes, downloads etc.etc. on the 2nd drive and data, documents, downloads additionally backed up to two seperate backup drives.

The time the backup takes is a fraction of what it'll take if you have to seekout, re-download and re-install lost stuff.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I just powered up a new homebuilt machine which so far has done a great job running Open Rails with 3 figure frame rates in most areas.

MSI Z390A Pro ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core I3 9100f CPU - good value as it has no on-chip graphics which keeps the price down
    16GB RAM
    MSI GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics 4GB memory
    Kingston A400 240GB SSD used for Windows, Open Rails, and the miniroutes directory
    Western Digital Caviar 1TB HD for everything else
    Case, PS, DVD drive etc.

If I had it to do over again I would have gotten a bigger SSD maybe 500GB or even 1TB, but I had to stay ion budget.

I hope you realize your monitor can only display at a 60Hz frame rate? (there are some 75Hz monitors)
    But here's what happens;
    Your system is trying to stuff your 3 figure frame rate into a monitor that can only accept at ~60 fps.
    All the other attempts to send video to the monitor are rejected by the monitor. In effect the monitor sends a busy signal to the video card and the video card immediately tries again ...and again . . . .
    This obviously requires processing time on the video card,
    You see where I'm going with this . . .

With Open Rails it's been found it's better to use the Vertical Sync option. This will sync the monitor to the video card, freeing up processing needless attempts to send video to a monitor that can only accept it at it's hardware frame speed.
    BUT!!
    Before trying this be sure to queue up one of your favorite routes, preferably one with complex scenery and look at the F5 - Debug HUD.
    Lots of info here on video. Make a note of the ones you deem important and see if they improve with vertical sync ON. Note the 'look' of the various graphic displays.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Speaking of monitors, MSTS comes in 4x3 format, new monitors are 16x9. Is there a way to 4x3ize the screen when using MSTS? And, regards OR, I'm guessing it comes in 16x9 format??
    For MSTS and OR, will "any" monitor work, or is this like the video card, only certain models work well?

AA

>For MSTS and OR, will "any" monitor work
    Basically yes, its just the format is has to be able to handle.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Speaking of monitors, MSTS comes in 4x3 format, new monitors are 16x9. Is there a way to 4x3ize the screen when using MSTS? And, regards OR, I'm guessing it comes in 16x9 format??
    For MSTS and OR, will "any" monitor work, or is this like the video card, only certain models work well?

AA
    Why not run with the widescreen patch? https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....rchid=17406157.
    Geoff
    UK

Geoff that link comes up with a "No Search Results" screen.
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    Geoff that link comes up with a "No Search Results" screen.
    Works for me, just clicked it.

Search msts-widescreen-patch.zip
    Geoff
    UK