Thread: CSX (L&N) Knoxville Division

Cool CSX (L&N) Knoxville Division

Colleagues,

I've been cleaning up a route done by Dudley Evans and it should be ready to release
    in a couple more months. I need to detail out the line from Savoy to Gatliff, KY and
    the area around the Corbin yard. My rendition of the Corbin yard has all the various
    yards and most other facilities but not all the tracks which would number in the
    hundreds.

This will be the first version and a future one will add the Southern (NS) line from
    Vasper to Jellico as well as some other SR lines in the area. In this first version
    there is only one coal mine and it appears to still be active, or at least it was in the
    last Google Earth revision. So here is a empty train headed back to Gatliff which is
    at the end of a 15 mile or so branch from Savoy (Williamsburg), KY.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)gatliff_empties.jpg

Looking forward to the route will there be any activities?

No, I am not very good at creating activities and when I have done it in the past, I gets lots of questions
    about what equipment I used etc., so I usually just leave the paths in the appropriate folder and delete
    the rest. The completed route does have TCS on the main line with a number of control points, also
    5 or 6 defect detectors, while the Gatliff line is dark territory, and does not not have any sidings, though I
    have added a node about mid way to reduce the likelihood of "broken couplers". There is a wye near the
    end of the line and one branch goes to Gatliff, and the other to Packard. This latter branch (about 1.5 miles)
    was abandoned in 1947 and the wye removed, but it is still easily traced on Google Earth. The mine at
    Gatliff appears to still be active, at least in Oct. 2018. Clearances allow single stacks and trailers on the
    main line.

Jerry

Jerry

Did you ever do the L&N Louisville to Nashville yet?
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Default L&N MainStem

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-MONON View Post
    Jerry

Did you ever do the L&N Louisville to Nashville yet?
    Rick,

No, I haven't done it yet, it is probably next on the list and will fall in the category, shall we say,
    of completed, but could be detailed more/better if someone wants to take a whack at it. It will
    only have X-Tracks, NewRoads, and M-tracks as add-ons which will be the standard for all of
    my routes. I may in parallel, work on detailing out the Virginian. It still has a issue that makes
    it ORTS only, but most routes these days are that way, or likely will be. For that matter, the
    Knoxville division could be detailed out more. I also have all the track in for the EK Div. except
    for the Lexington & Eastern, and the Kentucky & Ohio which will be there for historic purposes
    with appropriate signage.

Jerry

Cool Gatliff mine empties

Colleagues,

The still active (2018) branch from Savoy to Gatliff & Packard was built around 1900
    as the Pine Mountain West RR, a wholly owned construction subsidiary of the L&N.
    Originally there was a mine at Packard and another at Gatliff. Packard played out in
    the 1940s and that branch was abandoned in 1947. There is no physical mine now
    at Gatliff either, but coal is brought in by truck from several strip operations, some
    as far as 20 miles away and the coal is then processed at Gatliff and unit trains came
    from there a few times a week, at least until 2018. So here is a test train that is
    continuing to the mine with some empties. I do note a rather tipsy driveway to
    one of the trailers in the right-hand image which has to be fixed.

The river seen in one image is the Cumberland which figures a lot in L&N history
    and to a less extent in NS(Southern) history as well. The Cumberland rises in
    southeastern Kentucky, near Harlan, and the Cumberland Valley Div. (Sub.) then
    follows it for 50 or so miles before deviating northwest to Corbin. The river then
    is joined by this branch about 12 miles east of Savoy (Williamsburg) and then it
    proceeds further southwest passing over Cumberland Falls. Many miles later it is
    crossed twice by the L&N at Nashville, and once more at Clarksville, TN. (This
    latter line is now a R.J.Corman operation.

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images