Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decapod loco sound problem.

Default Decapod loco sound problem.

Hi guys, another day, another small sound problem that I'm hoping some kind soul can help me out with. Recently d'loaded the Decapod loco from the library (what a loco!) and Open Rails is throwing up a missing stream report. I've attached the relevant files and marked the place on the sms file with the annotation "SECOND END BRACKET BELOW IS 1206". I've tried added an end bracket and also subtracting one but no luck. Many thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

Hi niknak,
    Go back to line 695 and change Streams ( 16 to Streams ( 15

It's only when Open Rails gets to the end of a Group that it knows something's missing. MSTS doesn't complain if the Streams number is greater than the actual number. You don't need to add or remove any brackets!

Please remove your 'extra' line, otherwise you'll end up with more errors!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Yes that's fixed it Ged. Many thanks yet again!
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    ...Open Rails is throwing up a missing stream report. ....
    Get accustomed to that warning of missing streams. There will be literally hundreds of these, almost ALL sound files will generate this warning in OR. In my experience correcting these, there have been no "missing streams" -- OR is finding a miscount in the number of streams. I've taken the time to count many of these and the OR warning has never been wrong. Just subtract the number in the log warning and change the line below to reflect that. Not a sound expert, so I don't know why there are so many.
    Code:
    	ScalabiltyGroup( 5
    		Activation (			ExternalCam ()			Distance    	(1000)		)
    		Deactivation (		CabCam			()			PassengerCam	()			Distance    	(1000)		)
    		Streams ( 9  <<<< CHANGE THIS LINE   --- there can be more than one count per sound file.
    			Stream (
    				Priority ( 6 )
    				Triggers ( 11
    I pretty much just parroted what Ged said...only I think the word "verbosity" applies in my case. ANYbody got a cracker!
    Last edited by R. Steele; 10-18-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Cheers Gerry I'll try that. Cracker on it's way but I draw the line at cleaning out the cage....

Hi niknak,
    It might be me just being my usual pedantic self, but please don't 'try' anything!
    When Open Rails reports this type of error on a given line number, work back up the .sms file until you reach a Streams ( line. It is this entry which (usually) requires reducing by 1.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi niknak,
    It might be me just being my usual pedantic self, but please don't 'try' anything!
    When Open Rails reports this type of error on a given line number, work back up the .sms file until you reach a Streams ( line. It is this entry which (usually) requires reducing by 1.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Ged, I find I have to disagree...in ALL the cases I've looked at and corrected ( since 2013 when I first encountered this warning ) OR is simply finding a a higher total count of streams than are actually found in that specific section of the sms file. Never have I found any other problem associated with this type of warning. Moreover, the actual count in the sms file is always higher by the same number as the OR log warning reports "missing" --- somtimes 1, but I've found plenty of 3 & 2 overcounts also. However, my experience is with North American equipment only...while I know your experience is more widely developed.

I've since stopped counting the streams myself and just subtracted the number given by OR from the "Streams" entry in the sms. Care, should be exercised to make sure you are applying the correction to the correct "Streams" entry....usually there are more than one in cab.sms files and most often only one is found in eng or ext.sms files.

It's especially important to find and correct sound warnings or errors in the log file...too many of these can choke OR. Generally it is good practice to correct all errors and warnings in the log...so that when you do have to use the log to diagnose a problem you are not searching through myriad warnings to find "the needle in the haystack".
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks guys I have taken what you've said onboard, as I think you're both basically singing from the same hymn sheet.

Hi Gerry,
    Thanks, mate, I stand corrected - your experience of Open Rails is much more extensive than mine!
    Although it doesn't affect MSTS, if it was considered to be useful, I could possibly add this check to MSTS_Check.

Sorry, niknak, singing isn't allowed during the current restrictions! BUT you wouldn't want to hear my singing - even I don't

Cheers,
    Ged

A very underrated test is a bracket check.
    First I ran it on my set, I got nearly 1000 files with errors.
    Cheers
    Derek