Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A small video

Bruce!
    Your query in your video about speed at San Bernardino yard ( 11:30 min ) with dovetails TS2020 at 15 MPH and Run 8 at 20 MPH got me curios. It appears both sims are wrong according to the 2008 BNSF California Division And Los Angeles Division Timetable.

Speed—Switches and Turnouts
    Trains and engines using auxiliary tracks must not exceed turnout speed for that track unless otherwise indicated.

MP 0.0X, San Bernardino, turnout, Main 3 and 4 ........................15 MPH.
    MP 0.1X, San Bernardino, passenger movements and all freight movements, Main 4, double slip switch.............15 MPH.
    MP 0.1X, San Bernardino, freight movements routed to or from passenger yard or flyover, double slip
    switch.......................10 MPH.

MP 0.3X, 4 crossovers........................................ .........................30 MPH.
    MP 0.3X, turnout to A Yard Lead.............................................. ....10 MPH.
    MP 0.3X, turnout to Auto Facility Lead.........................................10 MPH.
    MP 1.1X, East B crossovers Yard Lead to Main 1........................15 MPH.
    MP 1.1X, East B crossovers Main 1 to Main 2.............................30 MPH.
    MP 2.2 Rana, turnout to B Yard Lead...........................................10 MPH.
    MP 2.2 Rana, 4 crossovers........................................ ..................30 MPH.
    MP 2.2 Rana, turnout to Main 4................................................. ..30 MPH.
    MP 2.2 Rana, turnout from Main 3 to Auto Facility Lead .............10 MPH.

As you can see freight movement in any of the San Bernardino yards are down to 10 mph due to traffic density and suburban type location with passenger station etc.
    Even with upgrades to switches over the years it's highly unlikely that speed into and out of yards would have increased beyond 10 MPH given that train length and tonnage has also increased.

Your were heading out of A Yard on to the Cajon Sub, that would still be at 10 MPH.

MP 80.5 Seventh Street, turnout, Main 1 and yard lead..............10 MPH
    MP 80.6 Seventh Street, turnout, Main 1 and yard lead .............10 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Bruce!
    Your query..... got me curios. It appears both sims are wrong according to the 2008 BNSF California Division And Los Angeles Division Timetable. ....
    Wow! Thanks, James. You went to a bit of effort to find that, so much appreciated.
    I know that from now on I'll be complying to those requirement, no matter which sim I am playing.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Very interesting stuff. I did a direct comparison of the same location (CP 7th Street)... ....
    Thanks, Mr. Angel.
    You have a keen eye.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Boredom.
    Didn't you read my post here?
    lol. sorry Goon. I'd failed to include "Outside of boredom, perhaps rivet counting"
    Meanwhile, still enjoyed the comparison none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    lol. sorry Goon. I'd failed to include "Outside of boredom, perhaps rivet counting"
    Meanwhile, still enjoyed the comparison none-the-less.

No worries.

Yeah most manual switches in Run8 I always kept at 10MPH though there were some higher speed ones inside of Barstow receiving if I recall.
    Looks to be the same for SBD. Though I believe the speed restriction is not a speed limit but a setting for going over a switch at reverse speed if I recall.

Thanks

Sean

The comparison was great, thanks. It provides good info for potential new customers and sheds light on 'the other one' a current simmer doesn't own. Also, Ono = 'Oh No'.......

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    ... Also, Ono = 'Oh No'.......
    Thanks for the feedback, Brad, and also for the confirmation on pronunciation.

I bet you did not know the The people that made run8 made Cajon for Trainsimulator or Railworks what ever they call it now day's. Because of THAT, run8 was born. Thank you Dovetail.
    sparkplug