Thread: could anyone help with an .ENG file please?

Default could anyone help with an .ENG file please?

Hi there I am from another community I hope you don't mind me asking these here a long google search lead me to this forum

I am currently working on editing an old game NHL 2002 and trying to change one of the team names in the folders are files such as Front.ENG which can be opened in notepad and wordpad and edited but once launching the game it crashes notepad crashes instantly and wordpad loads a few screens with the text all jumbled then crashes before the main menu

could you offer any advice please as i know trainsim uses this kind of file thank you

Hi saintric,
    Welcome to the Forum, however short your visit may be

You are correct that Microsoft Train Simulator uses files with .eng as their extension. I'm sorry, but I think that may be where the similarity ends ! 'Our' .eng files are normal Unicode text files which won't crash NotePad or WordPad and displays correctly in both. It sounds as if yours are some kind of binary files. On an off-chance, have you tried 'unpacking' them with WinZip or 7Zip? Alternatively, if you could attach one to a post someone here may be able to decipher what format they are in - you may need to put it in a .zip file to attach.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hey thank you for the reply I hope it's not an issue too much asking here about an unrelated subject

I am unable to attach a file right now as I'm away from my computer but I will do so over the weekend and i would be really grateful if someone could give me some help or advice after taking a look 🙂

here is the .ENG file in question hosted on gofile this one I believe is called front meaning front end of the game such as the main menu etc

https://gofile.io/d/Ys5OWq

Hi saintric,
    Thank you for the upload.
    Unfortunately, it seems to be a proprietary file and I've not been able to find any reference to it (using its first two bytes) on the internet.

Most of the file appears to be normal text - instructions, etc., which, as you said, can be read using NotePad. I tried changing the first occurrence of 'Game' to 'Games' and saved it in NotePad - it re-read the file OK, but whether it'd still be readable by the original program, I can't tell.

Depending on the number of changes you want to make to the file, it might be possible to use a Hex Editor. Even then, knowing how many of these programs work, I suggest that, to have any chance of success, you shouldn't change the number of characters within any section of the file.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but maybe somebody else will - I'm sure you're not the only player of NHL 2002!!

Regards,
    Ged