Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A curious error message from Chrome.

You might be running into issues with older versions of TLS.

Versions 1.0 and 1.1 are no longer supported and some browsers are now outright rejecting sites that are still trying to use anything lower than 1.2 and there are issues with trying to run 1.2 in older OS's like Win7.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Windows XP celebrated its 19th birthday three days ago, it might be time to upgrade.
    No.
    This is an old laptop running XP. I keep it for historical reasons - my grandchildren have never seen a 3.5" floppy disk and nor have they ever used a CD.
    I also have another old laptop which runs Windows 95 but it has no internet connection. Neither does it have a DVD drive (only CD-capable).
    In a cupboard in my garage I have two desktop PCs; one with DOS and Windows 3.1 and the other is a pre-Windows item with DOS and which has only one program - Wordstar, the first word processor we (where I worked) ever used. Prior to that it was all IBM "golfball" typewriters.

Sentiment, I reckon.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No.
    This is an old laptop running XP. I keep it for historical reasons - my grandchildren have never seen a 3.5" floppy disk and nor have they ever used a CD.
    I also have another old laptop which runs Windows 95 but it has no internet connection. Neither does it have a DVD drive (only CD-capable).
    In a cupboard in my garage I have two desktop PCs; one with DOS and Windows 3.1 and the other is a pre-Windows item with DOS and which has only one program - Wordstar, the first word processor we (where I worked) ever used. Prior to that it was all IBM "golfball" typewriters.

Sentiment, I reckon.
    ...and also a fondness for museum quality tech gear! Post some pictures!
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    It is probably because you are running XP,you will find some websites are not accessible.Happened to me some years ago.
    Yeah....I'm sure you're right. Just incompatibility, I think.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by jmferguson View Post
    Chrome and MSEdge have gotten a whole lot more security contious with recent updates.
    fwiw MS Edge is now using the Chrome engine, makes for quite a fast browser now.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No.

Sentiment, I reckon.
    Well Bruce, respect from keeping them from a historical context. I did a co-op (work experience) placement in another high school, and they had a proper old IBM "clone" XT in one of the labs, just like I'd had when I was little. For fun I turned it on just to hear the sound again, here is someone else doing the same:

This was my first computer, the IBM 5155 luggable. Got it in my sophomore year in college. I had work/study in the college computer center, and the university system (8 university locations across the state) made a bulk purchase that was open to 'employees' that I got in on for only $1,084. It made me quite popular in the dorm, as nobody else on the floor had to go out in the rain and snow to the computer lab to do their 'floppy homework' and instead could do it right at my desk. I so miss those clicky keyboards.

[QUOTE=geepster775;1975609]
    I so miss those clicky keyboards.

You can still get them. My son just spent $80 on one.

Randy

[QUOTE=rdayt;1975616]
    Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I so miss those clicky keyboards.

You can still get them. My son just spent $80 on one.

Randy
    I restored one back in 2012

Still using it every day.
    I cannot get used to soft-touch keyboards after using these.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    ..... Post some pictures!
    I could do so for the laptops, Gerry, because I use them occasionally (old games! ).
    But the desktops are packed away in cartons in the garage - essentially archived. I'll leave their discovery to my son/daughter for when they clear the house out after I've been despatched!