Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A curious error message from Chrome.

Default A curious error message from Chrome.

Today, when trying out the Chrome web-browser for the first time, I entered the Trainsim.com address in the bar, hit Enter, and the following error message appeared (as per the text below, word-for-word as displayed )........

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.trainsim.com uses an unsupported protocol.
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.
    This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.

I tried the Flightsim.com site as well.....and received exactly the same message.

Is there any workaround for this that we (the users) can do (short of dumping Chrome)or is this something
    that needs to be addressed by Nels?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I am using a chromebook laptop and can reach the site.No idea why you cannot.Have you tried another browser ?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    I am using a chromebook laptop and can reach the site.No idea why you cannot.Have you tried another browser ?
    Yeah....works fine in Windows Explorer.

I wonder if the cause is the fact that its on an old laptop of mine which is running Windows XP?
    Yet every other site which I have accessed using Chrome on that laptop has been fine......it's only Nels' two sites which have tossed that message up.

It's just a storage device now, really. No great shakes but I was curious about that message.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Yeah....works fine in Windows Explorer.

I wonder if the cause is the fact that its on an old laptop of mine which is running Windows XP?
    Yet every other site which I have accessed using Chrome on that laptop has been fine......it's only Nels' two sites which have tossed that message up.

It's just a storage device now, really. No great shakes but I was curious about that message.
    I've no idea WHY... but I recently started getting "security checks" accessing the site through a shortcut on my desktop. When I accessed Chrome from the Programmes part of the Start Menu it didn't happen?!?!?!

I deleted the shortcut and created a new one.

Haven't had the pop-up since???? BTW I usually assign keyboard shortcuts to open as many programmes as possible but I've always done that from the drop down menu from the desktop shortcut.

Go figure......? I tend to think most weird behaviour is down to Win 10 updates nowadays but I've no knowledge to back up that suspicion other than I rarely "fix what ain't broke".
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

It is probably because you are running XP,you will find some websites are not accessible.Happened to me some years ago.

Windows XP celebrated its 19th birthday three days ago, it might be time to upgrade.

Which came first, the 𝚌̶𝚑̶𝚒̶𝚌̶𝚔̶𝚎̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚘̶𝚛̶ ̶𝚝̶𝚑̶𝚎̶ ̶𝚎̶𝚐̶𝚐̶ WinXP or MSTS?

MSTS, May 2001. I first ran it with Windows 2000. Those were the days. Flying off the tracks in the Acela at that nasty underpass south of Philadelphia.

Chrome and MSEdge have gotten a whole lot more security contious with recent updates. Espeically making sure SSI Certificates are valid anc current. Had this problem couple years back. So I'm using "http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/content.php" instead of just "www.trainsim.com"