Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A curious error message from Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ......For fun I turned it on just to hear the sound again, here is someone else doing the same
    Definitely a nostalgic sight and sound for those of us who used these things and for "kids", a step into technological history.
    That's why it's important that examples of outdated technology are kept in working order.

I was a member of a community radio station in Canberra for many years (2002 - 2014) and although we didn't use them on a daily basis, we had a turntable, a cassette tape recorder/player and a reel-to-reel tape recorder in the studio, all wired up and capable of instant use when required. The kids who came in for work experience (wanting to get into radio) were fascinated because in the majority of cases their parents had never kept any of this "old stuff" when updating to CDs.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Definitely a nostalgic sight and sound for those of us who used these things and for "kids", a step into technological history.
    That's why it's important that examples of outdated technology are kept in working order.

I was a member of a community radio station in Canberra for many years (2002 - 2014) and although we didn't use them on a daily basis, we had a turntable, a cassette tape recorder/player and a reel-to-reel tape recorder in the studio, all wired up and capable of instant use when required. The kids who came in for work experience (wanting to get into radio) were fascinated because in the majority of cases their parents had never kept any of this "old stuff" when updating to CDs.
    I'm a "Xennial", the awkward gap between generation X and Millennials (technically I'm the oldest possible millennial) so I saw the transition into the information age. My parents had an 8mm movie camera and projector, 8-tracks, LPs, and cassettes, but I remember our first CD player. Our VCR had a mechanical timer, our PC had 5.25" floppy drives and no mouse, and you needed to put the DOS diskette into A: when starting it up. They had a big old hifi system inside a sort of coffee table, which had a reel-to-reel.

I also had a grandfather who was very frugal, he built a lake cottage and fitted it out on the cheap, so there was a proper old black and white TV set in there with rabbit ears and a wooden casing. I am grateful for having gotten to experience all this stuff from the past, and watch it all change around me, as it's given me a great sense of perspective and appreciation for the rapid march of technology over the last three decades.

I don't care for those rather smug/sneering Facebook/Youtube videos of "kids react to old technology X"/"elderly people react to new technology Y" as it shouldn't be so antagonistic. This is what we had back then, this is how it what used. This is what we have now, this is how it's used. The end result, (say, music) is the same.

Default Firefox or Edge may work

I ran into the same problem three and a half years ago. I posted the question on railroad.net and got an answer to use Firefox or Edge. https://railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=165178 Firefox worked. However, my computer, running XP, soon couldn't handle an Internet connection at all, so I got a cheap laptop for that and still use my XP computer for Train Simulator. It also has Office 2002 or something that I prefer for writing and editing. It will die eventually, so I back up my work daily.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ......I don't care for those rather smug/sneering Facebook/Youtube videos of "kids react to old technology X"/"elderly people react to new technology Y" as it shouldn't be so antagonistic. This is what we had back then, this is how it what used. This is what we have now, this is how it's used. The end result, (say, music) is the same.
    A great philosophy and one that works without pissing anyone off.
    What a pity more people don't have that approach for everything historical; we can't change it and toppling statues certainly won't help.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Literalman View Post
    I ran into the same problem three and a half years ago......
    Thanks, Steve.
    I'll download Firefox and try it on that laptop; I'm using it now on this desktop so am familiar with it.