Thread: Sketchup questions

Question Sketchup questions

Getting back into route editing after a 10 year hiatus. Previously I had downloaded and used Sketchup for buildings and other objects. However I see some things have changed since I last did modeling.

1) I see Sketchup is now owned by Thrimble and the free version is cloud based. Is this still usable for building models for MSTS/OR or do I need to buy one of the fancier versions?

2) I assume the converter to .s files still works with the new Sketchup?

3) Would I be better off switching to Blender or is Sketchup still adequate? Ideally I would stick with it since I have buildings that were never completely finished.

4) which brings me to another question - are old file formats from 10 years ago still readable by the new Sketchup?

TIA for any answers.

Jon

Hi, welcome back.

Answers:
    1. The last machine based version is hidden on their site, one has to wade thru the tabs. Sketchup 2017 is it's name. I was able to find a workable version of Sketchup 8 (free) on the web elsewhere. ZDNet, i think.

2. Including and since Sketchup 2013, the exporter has to be installed in User Plugins folder, not the Plugins folder.

Over at Elvas Tower is a version of the exporter plug-in Dave Nelson did some work to.

3. Your choice. It does not appear anyone will ever finish the plug-in to do animations that MSTS / ORTS will understand (I am not a Coder)

4. Newer Sketchups will read older .skps UNLESS there was a plugin used to make some part in the .skp that the plug-in was not carried forward. I've only seen this on a few 3D Warehouse models.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Look for a download of Sketchup 2016. 2017 is newer but I don't use that because there is some incompatibility with some of the plugins I use. Over at Elvastower there is an updated exporter that works with the last couple versions of SU. If you are not a member and need that exporter send me a PM with an e-mail and I'll get it to you... do know i don't stop by here all that often so be patient, it will get to you.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Getting back into route editing after a 10 year hiatus. Previously I had downloaded and used Sketchup for buildings and other objects. However I see some things have changed since I last did modeling.

1) I see Sketchup is now owned by Thrimble and the free version is cloud based. Is this still usable for building models for MSTS/OR or do I need to buy one of the fancier versions?

2) I assume the converter to .s files still works with the new Sketchup?

3) Would I be better off switching to Blender or is Sketchup still adequate? Ideally I would stick with it since I have buildings that were never completely finished.

4) which brings me to another question - are old file formats from 10 years ago still readable by the new Sketchup?

TIA for any answers.

Jon
    there is a great possibility that you can use them in portable version of Sketchup
    somehow its more compatible than the full versions

I was able to find a downloadable copy of Sketchup 8 on a site named techspot.com. Looks like the 2017 version is payware/30 day free trial..

I've been using Sketchup Make 2017 for almost a year now. I never noticed it was payware.

It's just that when I install and run sketchup 2017 it says "sketchup make, pro trial version 28 days remaining". So does that mean I can use "pro" features for 28 days then it will revert to only having the "make" features? I only saw one windows version (of Make) to download.

When I start the program this comes up,

make.JPG

I pick the free one.

Sketchup free is said to be brain dead. Look for an installer of Sketchup 2016 of Sketchup Make 2016.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.