Thread: Triple Monitors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Triple Monitors

Will triple monitors work on MSTS?

Yes, but it will only display on the primary monitor.

Yes you can.

I am currently running 3x 24" 1920x1200 monitors side by side. With AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround you can merge all monitors together. In my case this results in a desktop resolution of 6048x1200 (with bezel compensation).

When you run OpenRails in fullscreen it will automatically use the desktop resolution. The biggest problem which such an extreme widescreen resolution are 2D cabviews. I use 50% "cab 2D stretch" in the Options menu but the only proper solution for this are 3D cabs which are sadly still very rare for OpenRails. You also need to lower your vertical FOV otherwise the edges of the image will be quite distorted. You can set a default FOV in the Options menu and you can adjust it in-game per camera by scrolling the mouse wheel.

For MSTS you need my widescreen patch (search for "msts-widescreen-patch.zip" in the file library). The script includes standard widescreen resolutions, but you can easily replace one of them with your merged desktop resolution. Cabviews will be horribly distorted. You can lower the FOV in GLOBAL\camcfg.dat but keep in mind this is horizontal FOV assuming a 4:3 resolution so you can't use the same values as for OpenRails.

I also tried using the 3 monitors in portrait which results in a less extreme widescreen resolution (3600x1920) but the bezels are too disturbing for me that way. Monitors with very thin bezels would probably work better for this, but right now I'm pretty happy with my setup. Apart from the cabview issues it's a really nice way to run the simulators.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Yes, but it will only display on the primary monitor.
    oh, very good. Thanks for ensuring.

I'm interested in working with triple monitor. Can you please guide me a little how can I set up?

I use one monitor for running Open rails, move the Dispatcher window to another monitor. and I can use the third monitor to open track viewer to look at Track layouts....

MSTS won't, ORTS will. The bigger problem will be finding a PC that supports three monitors. You can get video cards for a desktop that support multiples, but most laptops will only support one or two.

My Alienware supports a Mini-Displayport plus a HDMI, and I could go up to four monitors if I bought a $120 mini-DP splitter. Not sure what some of the newer gaming laptops can do.