Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Autumn / Fall Sale 2020 now on in the DTG shop.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I hear you, Metal. That's usually the point at which I say [email protected]@cks to it and fire up Elite Dangerous or Flight Sim for a few days...
    Elite doesn't do it for me any more, it became painfully obvious how much smoke and mirrors the whole thing is, and how little influence you actually have in what happens to the game world. I could play for hours and come away with little to show for it, and the actual space flight wasn't enjoyable enough to compensate. Plus, people were so bored that any serious player has accumulated unbeatable engineered ships and enough money for an armada of fleet carriers, just for something to do, so it's like being in a perpetual endgame.

EVE Online spoiled me for how alive their world is and how what you do matters, and it's also why I liked Run8 and Derail Valley so much, because what you did required effort and attention, and had an impact on the game world (and other players in the case of the former).

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    At the moment Steve, none of the train games are hitting the spot buddy.

For me the main problem is. Neither DTG or N3V have any real interest in making their games.

Proper simulators, with prototypical operations. They both only do half a job, in my opinion.
    DTG is so worried about chasing the console mainstream audience that they're afraid of turning people off by making it too complicated or difficult. Trainz has always been a model railway game with rather uncomfortable support for prototypical-length routes in my mind, with the building of the route being the most compelling part.

Yes Steve Konsoles Rewl OK

Trainz is not supposed to be a model railway anymore buddy. They broke out of that years back.

I had the CE release ordered near the end of 2001. The loco and rolling stock wheels, didn't even rotate in that version.

But by TRS12 it was being developed as a proto rail sim.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Yes Steve Konsoles Rewl OK

Trainz is not supposed to be a model railway anymore buddy. They broke out of that years back.

I had the CE release ordered near the end of 2001. The loco and rolling stock wheels, didn't even rotate in that version.

But by TRS12 it was being developed as a proto rail sim.

Mike.
    The last one i played was TRS2010, and it still felt very much like the same model railway business that we first had back in 2001 with CE (I have it too, thanks to Vern spreading the word) even with the longer prototypical routes now included. Between that, DLS dependencies and the fact that so many of the same very old and very tired assets were being trundled out yet again, 2010 didn't hold my interest for very long. I was on my first new gaming computer in half a decade at the time, and was enjoying WCML North in Railworks 2. I sure as heck didn't trust them with TANE nor with TRS19 and its ridiculous pricing plans.

In bored moments away from home, I've played the mobile versions on iOS (Trainz Driver 2 or whatever it's called) and it's again the ghastly old interface, old models and tiny model-style maps that wrap around each other to give the impression of being larger. Oh, and several dollars per route to download additional ones to drive on, and even more dollars to install scenarios for them!
    Last edited by metalangel; 11-20-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Remember that Greg Lane's original idea was for a computer program to create and run small "layouts", in a similar fashion to model railways.

It wasn't until after I met Greg and the team in Brisbane (2001) and came home with a copy of that first edition that I started to push the boundaries of Trainz's capabilities when creating the Robe River layout.
    Auran had not anticipated that someone would want to use Surveyor to try and build a prototypical-length route that just went on and on rather than around-and-around.

The rest is history and unfortunately Auran's Jet game-engine was never upgraded to the extent that each subsequent issue of Trainz needed.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

KUID was "KoolThingz Unique Identifier" because part of the idea was to have limited-edition versions of the digital models to collect and trade, right? An idea way ahead of its time, given we now have people wanting limited edition pretend knives in CS:GO and gold battlemechs costing hundreds of real dollars in Mechwarrior Online and thinking this is perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    KUID was "KoolThingz Unique Identifier" because part of the idea was to have limited-edition versions of the digital models to collect and trade, right? .....
    Correct.
    The difficulty lay in getting acceptance of the fact that collectors would be paying for unique models made from electronic.....well, zeros and ones......with nothing tangible at all.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yes that idea never really went down very well...
    Vern.

An interesting discussion.

In total ignorance about its model railroad origins, I bought TRS2004 thinking I was buying a railroad simulation, went ahead and learned the basics of Surveyor and constructed several fictitious routes. I look back on those early efforts with some embarrassment but, hey, it was fun.

Then more than a decade on there appeared a thread in the Trainz Forums and a youtube video showing how to make model layouts. And suddenly I realised that my fictitious railroad routes were actually model railroads in disguise. Since then, apart from the Rivercide exercise, I've been fully committed to the model side of Trainz.

My latest discovery is the ability to cut and copy parts of layouts. Pieces can be cut out of an existing layout and pasted elsewhere. The cut out pieces can even be rotated and the height altered. Using this with the merge function presents interesting possibility. This one, for example, combines four layouts, with both rotation and altitude adjustment:

For me it's given Trainz a new lease of life.

Your creativity with Trainz never ceases to amaze me, Phil.
    You have become the master at the art of conjuring up live railway dioramas.

Put a dmu in every platform at Paddington, all starting at the same time.

Yma O Hyd