Thread: Opinions on sound cards in 2020?

Default Opinions on sound cards in 2020?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what the general consensus is on using a sound card with MSTS/ORTS nowadays?

I remember Lukas A. Lusser had made a discovery that even a cheapie sound card seemed to cure an issue with MSTS and processing loads of wav files.

I've been having an issue with a random errors about unable to find certain sound wav files in a route after playing for an extended time in a heavy industrial area with a lot of sound sources. The train has it's own sounds and I use a track bed sound source as well.

My machine specs,

MSI G31M3-LV2

4GB of ram.

E8600 CPU at 3.33GHZ.

Radeon HD6670 graphics card.

Windows 7 32 Bit.

These are the two sound cards I am looking.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 PCI Sound Card SB0570

https://www.amazon.com/XONAR-D1-7-1-.../dp/B001EZQ8YC

What I am unsure about is getting audio to work through the sound card from my SATA DVD Rom drive? The modern SATA DVD drive doesn't have the analog connection. Neither does the sound cards I'm looking at.

Robert

Hi Robert,
    Last point first - The sounds from CDs/DVDs on modern computers passes through the main data bus to the sound card, so no separate audio cable is needed (unlike the "old" days - I still have some of those cables!!).

Regarding sound cards. Have you replaced the default SoundCfg.dat file with that supplied with the Bin Patch, or obtainable from Steam4Me (https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/fix_sound.html - bottom of page)? This increases the number of 'buffers' used, so reducing the chance of .wav files not being found (although not eliminating it altogether). I don't know if Open Rails uses these buffers in the same way.

I have been using an ASUS Xonar DS sound card for many years and have never had any trouble with it! (I don't think it's made any more!!)

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Robert,

I am surprised that an e8600 works at all under heavy load.
    I was running for a long time with m/b sound, but I had intermittent crashes.
    I eventually worked out that it was due to the inability of the m/b sound to be able to play more than about 5 sounds at once.
    The sounds would queue up and eventually run off the end of the queue, and crash MSTS.
    I bought a creative card and my average time between crashes went from 10 minutes to an hour.
    I now have an usb Asus xonar as I have run out of pcie slots.
    These cards can play 100's of sounds at one time.

I would suggest that the e8600 cannot keep up in dense areas, and eventually drops its bundle.

Either card would be better than the m/b audio as it can play more sounds at one time.
    Cheers
    Derek

Ged,

I installed the whole Bin patch and sound file updates all at once.

Derek,

I've been running the E8600 for some time now. It doesn't do too bad a job. But MSTS is as always, a fickle one who likes to throw their toys out the pram for no reason.

I've gotten a G41 board recently and a Q9650 Quad Core CPU to go with it. Just haven't got around to swapping them out.

I've given some thoughts to a LGA 775 modified LGA 771 Xeon 5460 Quad Core for my old G31 board. The Xeon is cheaper than the Wolfdale Q9650 currently. I'd need to chase down a better heat sink though.

The choice for sound cards really comes down to support for Windows 7 and later. The latter of the two I mentioned seems to offer support for Win 7. Not sure about the old Audigy stuff?

Robert