Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresno to East Seligman - The trip is nearly over.

Run8 only became the day-consuming thing it did for me because of the MP. Unjamming the network after previous players left it in a proper old state was a lot of fun, as was cleaning up the receiving yards to make room. Actual driving figured in it less and less, not while I could have a humper running and be dispatching on the other screen at the same time.

With a good AI to at least run the stuff along the mainlines and set its own routes, that would go a ways toward recreating that busy feeling. However, it was both the unpredictability of other players (as in real life) and the fact that what you did both affected and mattered to the rest of the server that made it so compulsive.

Single player as mentioned too much micromanaging especially for the systems I wanted to run. The peak for me was between the launch for V2 just before LA came out. At that point the groups we ran and the traffic loads worked well for the number of people we had running on a regular session night. As much as I like LA it began a downward trend for me. It really comes down to human behavior and reasonable expectations.

With so many options, routes, and jobs it spread everything thin. For most the options were fascinating and I certainly understand that. But you were now in what essentially became what the gaming industry is "pay for play". In other words to keep any standing for a server you had to host everything. So if you have a user who buys certain routes, guess what they want a MP experience that allows them to run those routes, only logical.

As far as boredom goes I never really got the urge back. In fact I barely have the urge for Trainz these days only because I've found flying drones so much more appealing. Winter is coming so unlike Run8 I know I'll be back into Trainz. People thought I'd be back into Run8 and despite one small cameo I was done.

I remember checking the run8 home page multiple times a day before the launch of V2. Now it really doesn't matter to me. For me I can take it or leave it, has no bearing. Kind of like the forums these days (hell I barely keep up to the Trainz forums now). Came back tonight on some replies, but otherwise it's also take it or leave it for me. Not much excitement in anything train simulation wise is putting out I'm afraid. The only buzz I've seen are the route developers and content creators. That is something you will never see with Run8, thus the lack of buzz. No new content, no news, no buzz.

Glad to see people are still having fun with it though. Best train simulator on the planet. Got my moneys worth years ago, no regrets.

Thanks

Sean

As said, I just jump between TSW2 and Run 8 for my driving, Trainz for the route building maybe now and again into Open Rails for some of the Aussie routes or contemporary UK stuff.

I can see once I add Fresno and Trona to the Run 8 map, I will be switching off auto spawn entirely. I was trying to get one of my AI trains across San Bernardino yesterday evening to a takeout portal while driving into the virgin territory of Cajon, found myself bowling along at 70 MPH in a 50 MPH restriction... oops.
    Vern.

I never thought building a route would be so much fun until I dug into Trainz2019 this time around. I did the MSTS thing in the day. Now it's been a few weeks since I've run Trainz and I don't miss it, but I know I'll be back into it (too busy with the drones lately though the weather is going to be nasty this week).

MSTS I had 2 go arounds if I recall. The 1st time I eventually got bored of it after a couple of years, the 2nd time I was tired of writing my own activities and basically reading my own story. I tried random traffic generators, waybill programs, but I knew I was done. Kind of feel the same way with Run8 now (thought the bright side is there could always be a V3 if it sees the light of day). Towards the end I either was running my own jobs, rinse, and repeat. MP lost it's appeal as well when the numbers needed can't meet the demand of manual intervention.

I'm not sure why I still hang onto Trainz. I think it has more to do with familiarity with a region, and something I'm building myself. The AI works for the most part in a similar if not better operation. As far as driving nothing beats Run8 but I don't miss it. The other sim(s) are just eye candy that reminds me of the EA Sports Series. Basically they give you a few more features each year and better eye candy engines but not much in substance. We'll see if and when Run8 has another version if it can even meet my high expectations. Until then I'm afraid nothing is as real as it gets.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    .... We'll see if and when Run8 has another version if it can even meet my high expectations.
    Lower your expectations a few notches and you might be pleasantly surprised, Sean.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

We're all going to die some day as well, I choose to live in the present in the future. I had a great time with Run8 in the past, life moves on.
    I've lowered my expectations for 20 years. If it meets others expectations, more power to you. I'm not alone, though I may be alone here for some reason.

We've seen the eye candy in others, for me I'm not expecting that and if you want that you have TSW. If you want the best physics and MP then you turn to Run8. If I want the best route editor and creator you turn to Trainz. All 3 of these on their own are well ABOVE my expectations for what they do.

What I want is simple, a railroad simulator that gives me some decent eye candy, decent physics, and the ability to expand or at least go beyond a giant system that can never be utilized realistically without massive MP and a crew of at least 20-30 people 24/7 or minimum for sessions. As I said before we were very close to that before expansions continue in CA. The AI gave us the ability to move trains, that's great. What we lacked was the ability to work the trains once they arrived at those yards without human intervention.

So IF they produce something let's see what they have to offer besides turntables and moveable bridges. What else V3 is supposed to have who knows. It will be ready when it's ready.

Run8 is not as real as it gets. Lots of potential and well worth every penny I ever spent on it for years of entertainment. I don't need to lower my expectations, I simply move on to other things. But that won't stop me from expressing my opinion again and again.

The thing for me that digs at me is the potential lost. There were people willing to help out there, I can assure of that. But they did it there way and so the Run8 faithful apparently are still happy as can be right? Yes some people are still finding enjoyment, but let me know how that goes in another year or two. Remember it was someone in these forums that warned me that would happen. Now I'm like the mirror looking back and said told you so to my former self. That is because I seen the potential and felt they would continue to grow.

I wish them all the best, because it would be awesome if I was proven wrong. In fact I dare them to prove me wrong. Let's see if Run8 really can be as real as it gets.

Thanks

Sean

P.S. just in case you feel that I'm bitter (which my spidy senses are detecting from many) I'm just charging my batteries now that the wind is down. Heading out to Aldershot with my drone and enjoying trains in their real environment. It takes me hours to keep up to the Auran forums (which I haven't followed in a few weeks because I've taken a pause for now) This forum can be viewed in as little as a few minutes, or take 30 minutes if I decide to post a novel My 30 minutes is up.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ....I choose to live in the present in the future....
    Huh?
    (I think that even Einstein would be confused by that statement!)
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hey Bruce!
    Just finished watching your videos and thanks for sharing your journey. I left a couple of comments and gave you thumbs up for the first and last video for starting and finishing the trip and for keeping the videos around 30 minutes in lenght.
    Generally when it comes to YouTube videos I find myself losing interest after 45 minutes, you got it right .

Cheers
    James

Wonderful video Bruce ( if I may ) -- what I thought was stunning...was the exterior light sources sweeping through the night cab...beautifully done effect and if I remember from my Run8 experience ( 2014-2016 -- then I got involved in OR ) the physics were excellent.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-04-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Just finished watching your videos and thanks for sharing your journey..........
    Thanks, James.
    Yep....like you, I find my mind starting to wander after 30 minutes or so.