Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routes I plan to set up--------

Cool Routes I plan to set up--------

Colleagues,

None of us is going to be around forever and the deaths of some of our members over
    the past few years, especially Don Karch has got me to thinking - maybe a bad sign.
    Lately, someone asked about a C&O route through the New River area, and that
    also got me thinking.

So in addition to routes I am working on for release as complete (more or less) routes
    and when I get bored with one, or "stuck" I am working on a few others, for which I
    will digitize the route from Google Earth and lay the track. I'll probably digitize the
    major roads as well, probably in a secondary marker file, to avoid having a really huge
    file.

Currently I am looking at the C&O from Clifton Force, VA to Huntington, WV including
    the major branches. Where a branch is already in a future complete route, such as
    the Raleigh SouthWestern & Winding Gulf, I will break the branch at a likely point, in
    this case Raleigh Yard. The mentioned branch is already in the Virginian route, as is
    the connecting branch to Eccles & environs. I'll have other branches more complete.

Another one I am looking at would be the L&N Cumberland Valley Sub. with it's
    branches, except that I won't include the Branch from Baxter to Lynch because there is
    a payware route that involves it.

Lastly, for now, is the Nicholas, Fayette, & Greenbrier which connects to the New River
    line at two points and which I started some time ago as a separate route.

One reason for doing this also is to preserve history. CSX has the entire Cumberland
    Valley Sub. (used to be a division) up for sale.

When completed, these "starter kits" will go in the unfinished routes category and their
    description that Nels uses to announce them will contain a phrase such as "starter kit".

In all cases, where I have the files, I will include .pdf files of the track charts.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 11-13-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Jerry, I can see the wisdom in such an approach.
    Do you have any connection with the B&O Maryland Division? Especially the Metropolitan subdivision and the Georgetown branch? That's my old stomping ground and an area I'd love to see turn into a route.
    Christopher

I may have that. I had started a route when I was experimenting with Rail Works or whatever
    it was called back around 2005, so I may still have track charts for it. If not, I can still digitize
    the route and not lay track for it. I've also got some contacts where I used to work and they
    may have the charts. It is easier, and more accurate, if one works from charts. Another route
    I had failed to mention was Asheville, NC to east of Marion, which would include the now
    down graded line over the "loops".

J. H. Sullivan

The S-Line from Salisbury to Asheville already exists in MSTS. I've shared it with a handful of people.

Joe

Well Joe, could you share it with me. I plan to redo my own Blue Ridge Sub. route at
    some point, and if I had your route and if the digitzing basis was more or less the same,
    I could use a small piece of your route at the interchange and then reference your route
    for anyone that wants the connection.

Also, it would be nice if you would put the route in the library - I don't find it there so
    that any of us could access it, and lastly if you do not intend to complete it, you could
    put in the "unfinished routes" category so any of us that wishes, could complete it.

J. H. Sullivan

Chris,

I have the charts for the Metropolitan Sub. from the wye north of Washington
    Station to the end of the sub., and then I have the Cumberland sub. from there to
    Cumberland. I don't have data on the Georgetown Branch and a quick
    look at Google EArth does not reveal where it might have existed.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jcbundy View Post
    The S-Line from Salisbury to Asheville already exists in MSTS. I've shared it with a handful of people.

Joe
    I too would love a copy.

I started on this route some years ago but was never able to put much time into it... all I did was create a whole lot of terrain -- Asheville to Knoxville and get some rivers and reservoirs added. I have so much work to do as-is I doubt I'll ever make another change to what I started on. I'd love to run that route if for nothing else to see what I would have needed to do with it myself (IOW, what a timesaver this is).
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Try this site. http://www.msrailroads.com/Google_earth.htm It's a list of Railroad KML files that can be loaded into Google Earth. When one is loaded, it'll show where the entire railroad was/is located. This site has both the C&O and L&N. Honestly there maybe other ways it could be used, but I make marker files. You'll have to trace lines as to where the tracks are and then convert to markers I do this routinely with my Railworks routes I design. I don't know how to do markers in MSTS. Never tried. Keep in mind lots of trackage that was once there won't show in GE. You can only back date to 1993 in GE and the further back you go, the worse the imagery is. Sometimes I do get lucky in the time wrap and get good images. Hope this helps.

I checked out the site. The results are very good, but may not line up exactly with the present
    version of Google Earth data. However, the approximate route is shown and to use GE for making
    markers, it will first be necessary to carefully digitize the route, using these files as reference. The
    biggest issue is that in many area, the track is there, or at least the original route is visible, in
    parts, but mostly covered up with foliage. One could check Thurmond, WV to Glen Jean for
    example and unless you go to the oldest B&W imagery from 1993, the tracks are invisible in large
    areas account of the foliage, while we know that a shortline still operates on this track.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I checked out the site. The results are very good, but may not line up exactly with the present
    version of Google Earth data. However, the approximate route is shown and to use GE for making
    markers, it will first be necessary to carefully digitize the route, using these files as reference. The
    biggest issue is that in many area, the track is there, or at least the original route is visible, in
    parts, but mostly covered up with foliage. One could check Thurmond, WV to Glen Jean for
    example and unless you go to the oldest B&W imagery from 1993, the tracks are invisible in large
    areas account of the foliage, while we know that a shortline still operates on this track.
    I also should have mentioned Google Earth has distorted imagery in many places. Sometimes going to a date of earlier imagery you will get better results. It doesn't exactly align as you backdate. You'll be off a bit. It's by no means exact. It gets you well in the ballpark. If one knows the route forwards, backwards, upside down, diagonal, stop at Mars for a milk shake, you can draw where track needs to be. TSRE does have a function that one can overlay Google Earth. But a KML file(s) won't show. So there are some options. I have never messed with TSRE regarding that.