Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Routes I plan to set up--------

Neither have I, in fact there are so many things you can do with TSRE that in my remaining lifetime
    (being 82 in January) I'll probably never know most of them. So far, I have learned how to place
    new static objects, i.e. not track or roads, and so I do 90% of my route in RE and then tweak it in
    TSRE, TSRE is very good for aligning things to a track or road but only about the "Y" axis. This is
    okay most of the time, and we likely would not need to align to the axis that is parallel to the track,
    but it would be nice to be able to align to the gradient, and there is probably a way to do it, but it is
    beyond me.

Back to some comments about the Asheville to Salisbury NS route. I do wish the owner of that route
    could be persuaded to put it in the library, either as a finished route, or as a unfinished route if he
    has not completed it.

J. H. Sullivan

The story about the S-Line...I "finished" it a couple of years back (is a route ever really "finished"?). I sent it out to some folks about a year ago for beta-testing, and there were some issues, mainly associated with Scale Rail files. From what I understand, the newer Scale Rail packages do not include older Scale Rail shapes that I used in creating the route, and there have been some changed shapes, too. One would have to have my NC Piedmont Corridor route installed from way-back-when to hope to have all the proper track shapes.

My hesitation to upload the route to the file library is based on the distinct possibility that doing so would result in a flood of emails about how the route "doesn't work" and is "missing a bunch of shape files".

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    I too would love a copy.

I started on this route some years ago but was never able to put much time into it... all I did was create a whole lot of terrain -- Asheville to Knoxville and get some rivers and reservoirs added. I have so much work to do as-is I doubt I'll ever make another change to what I started on. I'd love to run that route if for nothing else to see what I would have needed to do with it myself (IOW, what a timesaver this is).
    Dave,

Tried to send you a PM...the system reports that you have "exceeded [your] stored private messages quota"...

Joe

JC, I cleared out some old stuff so pls send me that PM.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Joe,

I would love a copy also. I have your route from Charlotte to Raleigh and although I do not
    use Scale Rail, I have no problem running it - I have it in a cloned copy of MSTS and if I can
    get the "S" line, that is where I will put it. You can send me a PM also, and I don't think I am
    overly full. I usually use "WeTransfer" to send large files and it is easy to use.

I may have mentioned that as a SR employee from 6/65-8/78 I was over this line many times
    and since it hosted a unit coal train in those years, my geometry car had to test the route as
    well as stability of the coal cars, monthly.

Jerry Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Joe,

I may have mentioned that as a SR employee from 6/65-8/78 I was over this line many times
    and since it hosted a unit coal train in those years, my geometry car had to test the route as
    well as stability of the coal cars, monthly.

Jerry Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)
    My own interest is with the 30+ wheel reports I have recorded on the S Line in the 40's and early 50's. They provided enough boxcars I could prove my theory that back in the day the percentage of foreign road boxcars you'd see would be equal to the percentage each road's boxcar roster was in the national totals. IOW, as PRR had about 10% of the US Boxcars you'd find PRR boxcars would be 10% of your foreign road boxcar sightings on any US mainline... and indeed... take 1000 foreign road boxcar sightings (or recorded in wheel reports), count by road, sort their sighted percentage high to low and bingo, a perfect match to the list of boxcar totals owned by roads as a percentage of the US fleet.

WWII jumbled everything up and for a long time it would sometimes take years for a wandering boxcar to hit home rails again. They'd be off everywhere else (along with their brothers(, so the roads with the most boxcars would be seen the most often.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Joe, I too would love a copy. I do have the Piedmont route and presumably have what I need. I wonder if Marc would grant special permission for the needed shapes to be distributed with the route?
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Joe, I too would love a copy. I do have the Piedmont route and presumably have what I need. I wonder if Marc would grant special permission for the needed shapes to be distributed with the route?
    Christopher
    Marc's been flexible with Scalerail on freeware routes. I was able to distribute textures but left the shapes to be downloaded via the installer.

May be hard, but if the digitizing is close to what I use I may rework this route, but if I do, i'll use my preferred
    track types. I am not saying there is anything wrong about ScaleRail but I try to avoid complications where I
    can and prefer routes to still be MSTS compatible.

Jerry