Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to create a path through a pair of switches

Default Unable to create a path through a pair of switches

I updated my route to add a yard. There is double track leading to a facing point crossover then immediately after the crossover is a switch into the yard lead. The track all went together fine but when I try to create a path using the ORTS path viewer through the 2 back to back switches starting from one of the yard tracks, the path refuses to go through the switches.

Is there some issue with creating back to back switches? Do I need to have a short section of track between them?

Here is what it looks like in TSRE
    pathproblem.jpg

and in track viewer:
    pathprobTrkView.jpg

When I try to advance the path past the switch node, it refuses to budge.

Back to back switches are not allowed, ever. I'm surprised TSRE even permitted that to happen. I think I accidentally did that once and it crashed out

Thanks. I added a 5m straight between the switches and shortened the track beyond it accordingly and everything works fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Back to back switches are not allowed, ever. I'm surprised TSRE even permitted that to happen. I think I accidentally did that once and it crashed out
    TSRE doesn’t have the restriction in place like msts re. It will allow you to lay and save back to back facing switches

Anytime I do any major track work now, I open the OR track viewer and try to create a path through it. Besides back to back switches I have also had issues with joining track on a slope, where they appear to join OK but leave Blue Poles and you cannot advance a path through it.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_star View Post
    TSRE doesn’t have the restriction in place like msts re. It will allow you to lay and save back to back facing switches
    Yes, but these switches won't be connected. Just separate nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Correct.

You need at least a 0_2m (0.2m) section in between them for the TDB to recognize and create a pathway between two TrPin objects (i.e. the back of the switch).

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Correct.
    You need at least a 0_2m (0.2m) section in between them for the TDB to recognize and create a pathway between two TrPin objects (i.e. the back of the switch).
    That particular track section has caused problems in the past. Where the section length is equal to or less than the minimum join length.
    Here's the relevant post from 2009 >>>===> https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...77#post1501277

As I recall, it caused problems with the TDB rebuild routine in the MSTS editor. I can't remember if there was a problem with TSRE & OR but I do know that I have learned never to use that 0_2m section, using the 0_3m instead. I've never heard of a problem with the 0_3m section.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I seem to recall that the minimum tolerance the RE's TDB rebuild could detect was 0.16M, which is why the 0.2M pieces existed.

I have never used the 0.2m pieces in my routes. 0.3m is the shortest I go. Usually a combination of other pieces can get the desired with xtracks. Not sure about other newer track systems .

For back to back switches I space them out with a 5m piece generally. Its close enough to not look too far off. I've successfully placed signals as well in the gap and they work fine.