Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saved files.....where?

Default Saved files.....where?

Does anyone know the location of the Run 8 save-game files and what format (TXT?) they are saved in?

Reason for the question: I am wondering if it is possible to create and share situations....."scenarios", if you like.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

They are saved: "C:\Run8Studios\Run8 Train Simulator V2\Content\V2Routes\Regions\SouthernCA\Trains". The file type is xml & it can be edited using Wordpad. It isn't for the faint of heart, however. Train data is at the beginning. The rest of the info pertains to signals, switch status, etc. All trains are between the <trainList> section. Details of each placed trains (singles, consists, & AI's) are between the <TrainLoader> section--and there could be thousands of these sections. When I created the Very Populated SoCal file available in the download section, I copied & pasted train loader data. Here is an example (just the train info) of one UP loco sitting in Mojave yard:

<trainList>

<TrainLoader>
    <trainID>99991</trainID>
    <TrainWasAI>false</TrainWasAI>
    <DispatchTrainDirection>0</DispatchTrainDirection>
    <ManuallyAppliedSpeedLimitMPH>2147483647</ManuallyAppliedSpeedLimitMPH>
    <PreviousSignalInstruction>Stop</PreviousSignalInstruction>
    <unitLoaderList>
    <RailVehicleStateClass>
    <rvXMLfilename>Run8_ES44DC_UP.xml</rvXMLfilename>
    <unitType>US_DieselEngine</unitType>
    <currentRoutePrefix>
    <int>100</int>
    <int>100</int>
    </currentRoutePrefix>
    <currentTrackSectionIndex>
    <int>3004</int>
    <int>3004</int>
    </currentTrackSectionIndex>
    <startNodeIndex>
    <int>0</int>
    <int>0</int>
    </startNodeIndex>
    <distanceTravelledInMeters>
    <float>76.055</float>
    <float>90.165</float>
    </distanceTravelledInMeters>
    <reverseDirection>
    <boolean>true</boolean>
    <boolean>true</boolean>
    </reverseDirection>
    <loadWeightUSTons>8.892112</loadWeightUSTons>
    <destinationTag>None</destinationTag>
    <unitNumber>7877</unitNumber>
    </RailVehicleStateClass>
    </unitLoaderList>
    </TrainLoader>

</trainList>

When navigating the Trains directory, there is an info file for each xml file. All info files can be deleted without issue, unless you want to save notes made when saving a train. R8 simply re-creates info files each time the program is loaded. FYI, xml files are also created for location saves (Extra Board) that doesn't contain any trains. When browsing in the file directory, they can be easily identified by size, which will always be 1 KB.

Thanks very much, Brad.
    I've found the folders and files which you've mentioned.

Which leads me to ask this: All that is needed to share a "World" is for the two relevant files - XML and INFO - to be made available for others to download.....is that correct?

If so, I am assuming that placeholder 'stock and locos would be substituted where the pay-ware units are missing on the downloader's installation of Run 8. Would that be correct?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Only file shared (and edited) is the xml file, which can be a menu 'Extra Board'=Location, No Train, 'Train'= A single piece of equipment or consist, or 'World'= Multiple pieces of rolling stock/consists/AI trains. Forget about the Info files as Run8 creates them based on the xml files on your computer.

I assume placeholder stock & loco's are substituted, but since I own all rollingstock, I'm not sure how it is designated in the xml file.

Interesting stuff.

If all that is needed for someone to share whatever session/scenario/activity (call it whatever suits) that they have created then I am surprised that nothing has ever been done.

What set this off in my mind was information that James made available last year regarding the Yermo-Wasco-Yermo coal train which used to operate in the 1990s.
    I created a "world", created the train and started the task of hauling 100 carloads of coal from Yermo to Wasco and it was then that I wondered about creating, saving and also sharing these things.

It's been done in the past, I forget where.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Interesting stuff.

If all that is needed for someone to share whatever session/scenario/activity (call it whatever suits) that they have created then I am surprised that nothing has ever been done.

What set this off in my mind was information that James made available last year regarding the Yermo-Wasco-Yermo coal train which used to operate in the 1990s.
    I created a "world", created the train and started the task of hauling 100 carloads of coal from Yermo to Wasco and it was then that I wondered about creating, saving and also sharing these things.
    Vern in the file library here is the Bakersfield Sub session I had uploaded I think last year .
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Vern in the file library here is the Bakersfield Sub session I had uploaded I think last year .
    My name is Bruce, but I thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Mr. Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    My name is Bruce, but I thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Mr. Vancouver.
    Shoot sorry Bruce why was I thinking Vern he's the other guy...
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Shoot sorry Bruce why was I thinking Vern he's the other guy...
    That's me
    Vern.