Thread: SFM Loads, Bulkhead Edition

Default SFM Loads, Bulkhead Edition

Hello,
    I'm just looking for some opinions here for the first part of a larger project I have started out of personal interest. Using SFM, I've made all of these loads available for bn_flats, bulk01am, llwheblk, llwbulk1, and half of llwbulk2.zip. The one used for the displays is from us2repl.zip, by Clifford Timm and repainted by Chris Schwan. The loads shown are from Bernard Grant, David Rowe, Jeff Auberpine, Robert Murphy, and Byron Ashlock. The tarped box load is a Kuju shape. Nothing here is my own, I just ran with an idea. I'll be posting more screenshots of other cars I've messed with in separate threads if there's any interest.

Thank you and enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

These screenshots are too small to see detail.
    Cheers
    Derek

Was there any upgrades applied to couplers, wheels, trucks, brake hoses added?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    These screenshots are too small to see detail.
    The original size was 162x by 90x. I do apologize if they shrank when uploaded. I’m having trouble being able to tell from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Was there any upgrades applied to couplers, wheels, trucks, brake hoses added?
    No sir, no upgrades were applied. I posted the empties so that users could see which cars I was referring to. I’m only getting to know SFM. I realized that I could shift and scale shape files so I thought I’d take advantage without having to learn modeling software just yet, as I work 1200-830AM full time. I drive past UP’s Fresno yard on the way home every morning, and follow the main up the 99 back to Madera. You can only imagine what I catch from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by tanglingwolf View Post

No sir, no upgrades were applied. I posted the empties so that users could see which cars I was referring to. I’m only getting to know SFM. I realized that I could shift and scale shape files so I thought I’d take advantage without having to learn modeling software just yet, as I work 1200-830AM full time. I drive past UP’s Fresno yard on the way home every morning, and follow the main up the 99 back to Madera. You can only imagine what I catch from time to time.
    That's okay, it'll be nice to have new/different loads --- yep I can imagine you'd see some interesting cars from time to time. Thanks for your time and effort, Gerry
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

That looks terrific. Yes, I'd be interested. Can't have too many loads! You'd need permission from the original creators of the loads but I hope you can share here in the file library.

My two cents, since you asked: I think you could experiment with using shape file manager to lengthen most of the loads so they fit snuggly between the two bulkheads. If you click on the option to undo the evenly constrained adjustments then you get options to separately modify x, y and z axis (the last is the length if I am remembering correctly).

You could also take photos of some of the loads you see and change the texture files used on these shapes, using your photos.

If you like loads, check out https://www.tigertrains.com/ -- they've got some nice items for sale.

Also look up how open rails can now use more than one FreightAnim at a time. That would allow you to do things like (for example) a load of tractors or steel forms using a scenery object.

Christopher

Thanks for the kind words Chris. Yes, I could've scaled the loads to fill more of the car space but with my OCD I'd have to go back through 140 wag files and adjust their weights accordingly. Honestly, I was just trying to keep things as simple possible. However, I did scale shapes for some other cars, so stay tuned!