Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Only Money!

Default It's Only Money!

Well given the UK£ to US$ is quite favourable at present, decided to splash out on Cajon and San Bernardino/LA. At least that means I can now drive all the way from LA to Seligman. Just leaves Trona and the Fresno route to complete the western collection.

Wish me luck on my long drive!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .....decided to splash out on Cajon and San Bernardino/LA. ..!
    Two prime routes....you can't go wrong.
    Good decision.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

With those two sections added, I really need to start getting into the car forwarding side of things. For that purpose and to understand the complexities of the LA and Cajon areas, I really wish 3DTS would include a schematic map as it's not always apparent from the "folding" of the Despatcher Board as to how the actual line flows.
    Vern.

Vern -- Did you look over at the site of The Depot Server which have the maps. If you want to see for yourself and here is the link below:

https://www.thedepotserver.com/maps/

Hope that will help you with the maps.

John

Thanks for that John, I'll check them out.
    Vern.

Thanks for that John, I'll check them out.
    When it comes to tagging freight cars, you definitely need these, Vern.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I am wondering now whether it will be possible to emulate the full run of the famous Oil Cans - BKDOU (DOBKU on the return), From what I can establish, these were loaded at the terminal by Saco at Bakersfield and the train ran to Dolores Yard where it was split for tripping to the various destinations. Until (if) we get Soledad Canyon which was the direct route, it would have to run via Cajon and West Colton but I believe this was an occasional diversionary route for the train in real life, too.
    Vern.

..... I believe this was an occasional diversionary route for the train in real life, too.
    I'm pretty sure you're correct on that, Vern.
    This is from a quick search....

http://www.carrtracks.com/cateh349sp9164.htm

Doesn't answer your question but is certainly a nice set of pix.

It looks like Dolores Yard is just off the LA screen, on the line towards Long Beach but Saco is present within the Mojave Sub so yes, it should be possible to emulate 98% of the journey, now.

There was an article in Trains magazine many years ago which described in detail a trip on the Oil Cans south from Bakersfield to LA (via Soledad). Unfortunately I can't find the copy in any of my magazine boxes - must have been culled during a house move. Never throw anything away, as you never know when it might be needed again!
    Vern.

It looks like Dolores Yard is just off the LA screen, on the line towards Long Beach but Saco is present within the Mojave Sub so yes, it should be possible to emulate 98% of the journey, now.
    Yep.
    If you go into Google Earth or Google Maps (which you've most likely done) then it's pretty easy to follow that route and relate it to what is in Run 8.

There was an article in Trains magazine many years ago which described in detail a trip on the Oil Cans south from Bakersfield to LA (via Soledad). Unfortunately I can't find the copy in any of my magazine boxes - must have been culled during a house move. Never throw anything away, as you never know when it might be needed again!
    Ain't that the truth! The number of times I've said that.

It's August 1994 and is available as a back issue from Kalmbach:-
    https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/produ...ssue/trn940801

I've been Googling and have found the following little video.......

Then this bit of info about that magazine article.......

They also ran a story of the "Oil Cans" in the June, 1992 issue of Railfan and Railroad magazine.....

.....I remember the Trains article they gave it something like 32-36000 HP depending on the tonnage that day. The cans always got 2.5 to 3 HP a ton to ensure they got to the delivery point ON TIME.....
    Last edited by seagoon; 11-24-2020 at 07:51 PM.