Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Trainset Folder Path

Default Changing Trainset Folder Path

Hello Everyone,

Now with Trainsimulations requiring a separate installation profile, would anyone know how to also point the Trainset folder to the original MSTS install path. This is becoming an issue when I am installing additional activities in which dependencies are in the MSTS Trainset folder path. Is there a simple way to address this or would I have to copy everything over, which I may run into a space issue.

I don't know any way to have a common Trainset folder for separate installations. Generally I prefer it that way as stock is often different between installations. My own Trainsim setup has separate installations for UK routes, Europe, India, Australia, US, and Subways, plus certain routes that are self contained such as PRREast. They all for the most part have their own stock except certain things that get shared such as files in DASH9, GP38, SCOTSMAN, Common Sound, etc. that some stock aliases. In those cases I just copy the folders over.

The four routes that belong in the TS installation really don't have any activities, native or third party, that would require you to share rolling stock with any older MSTS installation, do they? My MSTS improved Scenic 2 stock is about the only thing I can think of that might be ported over, but I also OR-ize the content at the same time I move them over to the TS install. The other trainset packs that came with DDS textures are added directly, too (KCS AC44, ATSF C41s, Auto Train, CP ECOs, CN 70M-2, NS Heritage, MILW, Rock, SOU etc) but first I make sure I'm dealing the latest version of the shape file (newer ones have more details and better wheel retention at farthest LOD). I remove ACE, remap S files to DDS, change physics to OR only (no dual environment setup), etc at the same time. Anything new getting released will have all this done already. The NAVS stuff also is ported over. The rest is questionable and ported over as time and suitable improved shapes permit. The TS install trainset becomes "the prime stuff" structured and set up for the future.

But of course, everybody does their own thing differently.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    I don't know any way to have a common Trainset folder for separate installations.
    Junction Links, or other types of windows "links" >>> please read this thread https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-Maxi-Routes&p
    ( posts from Jovet ) for information on Junction Links.

I use junction links for the Common.snd, Common.cab, and for OR the Common.inc folders. I only have three folders that are junction linked to all my different OR profiles/installations. Make a change in the master folder and all profiles are affected. However, trainsets and consists are specific to each profile.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 11-23-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I have a huge trainset folder, as I am sure everybody does. After 20 years of doing this, I mean...
    I also have a trainset folder that has the good stuff in it. The newer models, Goss, NAVS, &c. This one lives on a new SSD.
    I use a little utility called Link Shell Extension that lets me right click on a folder, drag and drop it anywhere I want as a symbolic link, so I can use either of these trainset folders anywhere I want. I have eight active MSTS folders going and only use one trainset folder.
    You can drop a link anywhere and it's just as easy to delete it. It looks like this, Screen.JPG so it's easy to tell the different.
    I keep telling myself that I need to clean out the old trains but every once in a while I'll find something cool and when I do I move it to the good stuff folder.

Works for me.
    Randy

Hi Randy,
    Route Riter has a panel for Hard Linking although I've never used it .
    Is this (if you know) a process for doing what you are describing above using the Link Shell Extension utility?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I use symbolic links as well.

I wish open rails could pull from multiple TRAINSET folders. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. But it has not been done.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I use symbolic links as well.

I wish open rails could pull from multiple TRAINSET folders. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. But it has not been done.

Christopher
    There is some discussion about incorporating this into OR ( I don't know in what manner or how ) after the move to Monogame has been completed.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Just tried this, and appears to be very useful- thank you! (sure beats duplicating files). Do you have a recommended structure for all the MSTS vs ORTS trains (how to make the good stuff folder), or do you just lump all of them into one spot and use the Link Shell extender to point to the one spot? I currently have 5 MSTS install profiles (3 ORTS, and 2 legacy MSTS). I have trains appropriate to each of them, and have worked to keep the MSTS and ORTS activities/stock mostly separate. Should I just combine everything, or what do I look for to make a good stuff folder. Is there a way to have both the trains folder and the Link Shell Extension trains folder at the same time (or someway to have the default stock for that profile, and then the common stock too)?

A lot of questions packed in there...I'm certainly not qualified to answer all of them...best advice I'll provide at the moment...plan it all out, give it some thought...I think you'll find, in this hobby, you will go through a few re-arrangements before arriving at something you like.
    Cheers, Gerry