Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Release - Seems Instant In Senior Mode

Default Brake Release - Seems Instant In Senior Mode

Apologies if I've mentioned this previously but having just got back into Run 8 I am still noticing almost instant train brake release, even on a long consist. I've got two GE's on a 4000 feet rake of assorted cars with a helper on the rear. Make a brake application down to 70 PSI or even lower, release and in a split second it's showing 90 on the EOT.

This is in Senior Mode, not Piglet and I thought it took several seconds if not even a couple of minutes to get the brakes off on this length of consist. That's why previously you use train brake sparingly for speed control which is where the dynamics come in - that and the fact there is no partial release with US freight brakes. Is there an option I've missed in the settings somewhere? The irony is, in TSW2 on Sandpatch, releasing the train brake does seem to take a while to propagate through the consist.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ....Is there an option I've missed in the settings somewhere?
    Not that I'm aware of, Vern.
    I experience the same thing in "Hogger" mode and, like you, was surprised by the speed at which the brakes release.

Even in Open Rails, with an 80-car train, it takes several minutes for the system to pressure-up and that can only be shortened by using the cheat (Shift /).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Oh well it's not just me then. I'm sure in the original (V.1) the brake release took a little while. Maybe it got dumbed down slightly...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Oh well it's not just me then. I'm sure in the original (V.1) the brake release took a little while. Maybe it got dumbed down slightly...
    I'll fire up v1 and check.....

Ooops! Can't do, as I never had it installed on this newer (Windows 10) machine.
    Would be interesting to know, though.
    Last edited by seagoon; 11-24-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

There are two things going on and they operate at very different speeds. I asked a number of engineers and was told by all that it does not take much time at all to dump the pressure holding the brakes -- some of them said basically instantly -- so a few seconds is probably about right. In Open Rails I have most of my cars now set to dump the air completely in 12-15 seconds. Charging the line still takes minutes.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Having a helper at the rear as stated, things are going to happen quicker than having all air compressors huffing & puffing from 1 end.
    Dumping air is indeed just about instant
    4kft length, &, having that rear compressor your 20lbs reduction won't take much time at all.
    from a dead stop, & should all cars be depleted of air, that as a rule takes most time. During yd work, trn assembly, with any sizable length building, often found ourselves charging the brake system in 2nd/3rd notch prior to getting underway.
    Last edited by SMRY; 11-25-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks, Dave.....thanks, SMRY.

Indeed, I echo the thanks to Dave and SMRY. I did wonder last night after coming off the game, if having a loco on the rear might have some bearing on it. Once I've finished this run, I'll set up a consist without a rear helper as a comparison.

At least we can be assured that Run 8 is working as it should!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Having a helper at the rear as stated, things are going to happen quicker than having all air compressors huffing & puffing from 1 end.
    Dumping air is indeed just about instant
    4kft length, &, having that rear compressor your 20lbs reduction won't take much time at all.
    from a dead stop, & should all cars be depleted of air, that as a rule takes most time. During yd work, trn assembly, with any sizable length building, often found ourselves charging the brake system in 2nd/3rd notch prior to getting underway.
    Sorry N.Warrior the above going by seat of the pants RW days. As to Run8. ya know, been what seems forever, don't recall air times. I do believe between V1-V2 the system was indeed tweaked for faster rates. Anyways, honestly, when I was playing R8 role of engineman, cheated most times pumping air instantly during initial charge, &, recharge during our duties.

Honestly never a fan of DPU assembled trns. I prefer being able to traverse walkways, keeping watch on each cab from time to time. Like the ability to turnback the seat, look over the shoulder gaze thru glass keep watch for lighting, issues, etc. within each trailing units cab if any lashed behind us. My real world days be long gone, but, not unusual to be forced to get back to a trailer or 2, due to never ending issues, having to shutdown/restart/cutout, grab fire extinguisher, kick transit from cab, you name it. Ah, those were indeed the days.

Actually I have done that on Derail Valley before they implemented MU working, essentially two locos working in tandem but just the one driver (me!).

One thing that seems to be missing in R8 are the variables you describe. Each loco works perfectly and I've never yet had anything overheat or trip out. Some of the older sims actually implemented this - the SIAM driver games gave you a loco in anything from ex-Works condition to run down and clapped out. Train Driver 3, if you constantly ragged the ammeter in the upper yellow or even lower red section, eventually it would fail on you.
    Vern.