Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Year Since the Last DLC Release

Default 1 Year Since the Last DLC Release

Run8 hit a big milestone today hitting 1 year since the last DLC/update release! That being said, working in retail, I understand that the COVID situation has hit everyone around the world in one way or another. I'm curious to know if the pandemic had changed the train simulation world in a positive way? Hoping soon we will at least hear about an 'official' news release about something, like they did prior to the Trona release.

You would think Covid would have more people at home. But I haven't heard anything but why should we know? After all they have lives, and jobs other than Run8. I've heard of people who have quit their jobs over a year ago to work on Run8 exclusively. Personally (not my business) if I was relying on that income exclusively I'd want to be drumming up as much die hard support as well as casual fans to get them excited and increase my revenue stream (not just for my passion but for my wallet). But that's not how they roll, we're used to it. Trust me they got tons of people who will back them if they walked into a blazing inferno. I know I'm part of the minority. Kind of like being the underdog anyways.

Honestly I just can't help myself Health issues, small team, yadda yadda yadda either I'm on the wrong forum, or Run8 is dead. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to help if it's a manpower issue. I work for a small business, we have about a dozen employees. Family run business, so I support small business (want to be clear about that one). I love the company I work for and would want to work for a small company over any corporation any day.

But it seems Run8 at least from my perspective often gets a pass here. The only difference between this forum and others is they'll kick you off if your not drinking the cool aid. But here is a constant bitch fest of of what TSW is doing. News flash people, they are doing something. I know they are in it for the flavor of the year, pushing out crap left and right.

This doesn't take away the value I already received for the products. Got my money's worth, they are the best train simulator on the planet. Anyways back to what I was doing. I'll find out who I triggered later

Thanks

Sean

Well I'm still playing catch up with the existing content, but I agree some news would be good.

Route building should not be too hindered by Covid, given we have resources such as Streetview and YT cab ride vids we could only have dreamed of years ago. Locos and stock might be more difficult especially getting cab pictures and sound samples but not insurmountable. Where's my Alcos!!!???
    Vern.

I'm going to stir up the pot some more, like I said triggering has become a fun past time that I like to participate when I'm not flying (already flew twice today, worked, and seen my son). Trust me when I say this, I'm doing it for the attention, but most of all I'm trying to make a point. The status quo marketing sucks if anyone was serious.

Just over 1 year ago was mentioned, but I'll take you back to the last time John graced us with his presence. He denied a few things which I recall differently, but that is why you get two sides to every story. But here is something I want to share that is undeniable.

I recall something being said deflecting criticism about taking the time away from whatever it is they are doing, to update websites or post on social media. Funny I recall a time that wasn't such an issue than it is now apparently. The 1st video (long before I was invited to the beta team) was showing a train in the main freight cab climbing the grade out of Mojave heading NB. This could easily be described as showing their hand to competition, but it wasn't really. The graphics were not the greatest but I recall them having the audio of the detector which was kind of neat (I forget what else it demonstrated but I was interested).

Run8 had to market itself to get attention, so I suppose they needed to start a buzz more. But then after version 1 came out they had a forum. There was still updates they needed to do, and other things I'm not obligated to say due to NDA's but they seemed to have the time then.

They even in more recent years started a YouTube channel (I forget when) but there isn't that much on there so it's easy to forget. In fact looking at it now since I'm subscribed just waiting for something they have 2 videos from 2 years ago on V2. It's kind of funny I have about as many subscribers on my channel (mainly thanks to the Run8 years I might add) yet I feel bad as if I abandoned them. I apologize for giving up on attempting to rehash Run8 about a year ago (when at least we had content coming out).

It doesn't take much to do a live stream, quick video, etc. These aren't professionally edited, nor do they need to be. Anyways that's all I have time for now.

Thanks

Sean

I don't want Run8 to go down the route of DTG where they're catering to a "live service" gamer's expectations with a constant schedule of new content releases. The clamouring for more trucks and maps you see in the Euro/American Truck Simulator communities is very toxic, as it's obvious that even if SCS released all of North America tomorrow, and these kids would then just move on to demanding Australia or New Zealand or something. It would never be enough, they'd always be screaming for this truck or this location. SCS is rising above it by following their own plans and taking only the sensible feedback on board.

If you look at the quality of DTG's output, trying to keep up a constant stream of new routes and trains, and how buggy and half-hearted they are... Run8 has to trade on its depth of gameplay and quality. You've said yourself that they released so many expansions that the southwestern US area got too big to be enjoyable. For V3 I am hoping for more things to do in the areas we already have, like AI dispatchers, proper passenger services and timetables, etc. Likewise, new content would be to fill in gaps in what's already there, like Metrolink trains, and the UP LA Subdivision.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I don't want Run8 to go down the route of DTG where they're catering to a "live service" gamer's expectations with a constant schedule of new content releases........

............For V3 I am hoping for more things to do in the areas we already have, like AI dispatchers, proper passenger services and timetables, etc. Likewise, new content would be to fill in gaps in what's already there, like Metrolink trains, and the UP LA Subdivision.
    Valid points and well put, Mr. Angel.

In addition, neither do I want to see them pull the plug and just fade away without a further word (which seems to be what has happened with 3DTrains).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Valid points and well put, Mr. Angel.

In addition, neither do I want to see them pull the plug and just fade away without a further word (which seems to be what has happened with 3DTrains).
    Well they are still alive enough to take our money and sell their existing content... However I must admit since blowing that £60 on the two routes I still haven't quite reached LA and more often than not in the evening my finger is hovering over the TSW2 icon for my train sim fix. So think I will hang back on any more R8 purchases until the future is assured, not to mention the Steam sale starts soon and I have a list of TSW2 and TS (Railworks) content I wouldn't mind getting.

There's also only so much yellow scenery you can take!
    Vern.

Personally I don't expect V3. What they have said (which is very little) and their actions to me are two different things. Worse case it was a great run. Best case I'm wrong, and they surprise us. They have surprised me before, but my expectations now are pretty low. Out of curiosity I went to see how other popular forums are doing, and it appears this one is busier with a few of shooting the breeze.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Personally I don't expect V3.
    Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Out of curiosity I went to see how other popular forums are doing, and it appears this one is busier with a few of shooting the breeze.
    Sean
    Since you were banned from the Depot (not long after it started), you weren't able to, "out of curiosity", see how they were doing. Fact is, the hundreds of active members running trains every day over there know that John Greenstone, as of Dec 2, is assuring everyone V3 is well into production.

A quote from him; "The network programming is one of the hardest parts. Any monkey can slap something together in Unity or whatnot and make a train-sim these days, but making one that works realistically over a network with guys using it together across the globe? That's hard. Going thru code time and time again to find that one thing that's slowing down rendering? That's hard. Making manned-helpers run over a network? That's hard. We could have done what others do and just slap a V3 sticker on V2's code and call it a new version, but we don't operate that way; we push things to a new level on each release, doing things we haven't done before. For example, we've pushed V3's graphics to a new level using the latest 20th-century techniques to render raindrops on glass; it only took us 8 years, but we did it!"

Version 2 took four years to develop. Version 3 will be here when it's done. Don't suppose the devs spend much time worrying about what people say around here since the bulk of their customer base is multiplayer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    ......John Greenstone, as of Dec 2, is assuring everyone V3 is well into production.
    Well, that is reassuring to read that.
    Thank you, Brad.

A quote from him; ".....we've pushed V3's graphics to a new level using the latest 20th-century techniques to render raindrops on glass; it only took us 8 years, but we did it!"
    Nice!

....Don't suppose the devs spend much time worrying about what people say around here since the bulk of their customer base is multiplayer.....
    Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt for them to pop a note in here occasionally rather than have us rely on a third party (namely you, Brad) passing on information.

They have a rather "meh!" attitude towards public relations.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0