Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: The Depot Forum - Email Activation Not Working

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I believe a great many people, myself included, owe Vern a debt of gratitude for his efforts with his site and spreading the word about the nascent train simulator genre, and in English (as opposed to German, Japanese, or Polish, for example)

    I was desperate for a train driving game my entire childhood (we even asked the folks at the London Transport Museum if they had ever considered releasing a home version of the excellent simulators they had exhibited in the mid-90s, of an 1890 C&SLR electric locomotive and a modern train which I think was either 1973 or 1992 stock, both with replica cab controls in the exhibits themselves) and Densha de GO! on the PS1 was the first I found.

    I'd have never known about others like BVE and Mechanik, nor ended up with Trainz CE and MSTS on launch day if not for Vern's Rail Pages. The rest is history!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    The genre has certainly grown since then, it's fair to say.

    Right, off to get a few more miles across the Needles Division ever closer to Cajon and LA!
    Vern.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    Update: I never did get an activation email or other message so guess it's a case of hey, ho.

    At least I can access the information areas on the site without having to log in.
    Vern.

  4. #14

    Default

    Good luck with the activation Vern, I joined the depot years ago but have not visited lately, I am really hoping we hear something from the Run8 team soon as its been about a year since the last post on their site.

    Talking about Vern I met him via his site all those years ago(when was it Vern), as I worked as a Signalman(still do) we used to have many a chat at work on nights, those were the days.
    —————
    Jason

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    Blimey....is this old home week for you Brits and ex-pats?!

    As I was typing that, the thought just struck me: Metalangel - did you take your nom de plume from that large statue which appears in the credits of a TV detective show (Vera, or maybe Gently or DCI Banks)?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I believe a great many people, myself included, owe Vern a debt of gratitude for his efforts with his site .....
    Vern's was the first train-sim related site I ever visited and it was his writings which drove my enthusiasm for the hobby.

    I have a lot to blame him for.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Good luck with the activation Vern, I joined the depot years ago but have not visited lately, I am really hoping we hear something from the Run8 team soon as its been about a year since the last post on their site.

    Talking about Vern I met him via his site all those years ago(when was it Vern), as I worked as a Signalman(still do) we used to have many a chat at work on nights, those were the days.
    Now you're asking... it was certainly pre MSTS as I remember all the chats we had about getting Train Driver 3 working along with all the other little sims, Remember getting excited about Black Five and wasn't there a proposed Scottish sim, which never materialised. Some of what we found was really amazing, other stuff (like 3D Railroad Master) was somewhat more disappointing.

    Back on topic, I would like to see some news of how 3DTS are getting on with V3 of Run 8 and if/when we're likely to see it.
    Vern.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Now you're asking... it was certainly pre MSTS as I remember all the chats we had about getting Train Driver 3 working along with all the other little sims, Remember getting excited about Black Five and wasn't there a proposed Scottish sim, which never materialised. Some of what we found was really amazing, other stuff (like 3D Railroad Master) was somewhat more disappointing.
    Sorry to go off topic but in reply to Vern I have found some archives from your site, brings back memories-
    https://web.archive.org/web/20010122.../newsarc2.html

    I also found that Scottish Sim page-
    https://web.archive.org/web/20000510...TDSim/info.htm

    Back on topic, I think you need to register with the depot to read the forum posts.
    —————
    Jason

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    5,511

    Default

    That is a blast from the past.

    20 years on... I see that Rivet Games have put out a Glasgow Suburban route for Railworks/TS, albeit not in the sale yet. Might see if it drops a bit at Christmas.

    In the meantime, almost reached Barstow on my marathon trek from Seligman, another hour or so should see me there then I need to work out the fiendish complexity of getting down Cajon into LA.
    Vern.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamba, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ......then I need to work out the fiendish complexity of getting down Cajon into LA.
    Easy-peasy, Vern.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->